Water Changes - How do you do it ?

SPR

@Pat24601

I started this because I didn’t want to hijack the other thread.

So your fed up of lugging 5 gallons water buckets around. So was I!

There are many easier ways and what I have done is firstly I mix 120 litres of fresh saltwater (this is the size of my sump) in a large container with heaters and mixing pumps to mix the new water. I set this going with no salt a few days before to heat up and then I add the salt on the day of the water change adjusted to either +/- salinity requirement of the tank.

I then empty the sump of 120 litres using the Python water changer straight down the drain which also sucks out any rubbish/dirt from the sump.

I purchased a 5000lph (yes it’s quiet powerful!! Lol) pond pump and enough hose to reach from my salt container to my sump which is about 15-20 metres away. When in place I let rip with the pump and even turned to half power it will fill the sump in about 2 minutes! I just watch the sump level rise and then run to the pump power to turn it off.

Once you get used to it you can do a full water change in a very short space of time.

I also sometimes do the same thing for the RO reservoir with the pump.

My water change is around 18% and I now do this every 2 weeks.

So no more humping 5 gallon buckets for me!

cracker

I use brute can on furniture rollers .One with new water & 1 for the old. I take the water out of the display. This allows me to sift & siphon at the same time. I then pump in the new water, I use a mag7 with a hose attached . Then the pump goes into the old water & rolled to the sink for draining. Every so often I'll drain the sump ,clean it out and fill there. I kinda like your plan better . my way takes work ! :crying:

DaveK

My methods are similar. Here are a few differences.

I prefer to mix the salt the day before and let it dissolve overnight. I also mix it a little on the high side. Then the next day I add ro/di water to bring the SG down to the level I want.

I typically only clean the sump a couple of time a year. Mine doesn't get very bad. I'd do it more often if it did collect a lot of stuff.

I'm getting old, so I tend not to use my 5 gal buckets, if I don't need to. A full one weighs in at about 50 lbs. If I just need ato water, I'll use my smaller 2 1/2 gal buckets

Pat24601

Thanks for starting this thread @SPR . It could end up being very practically helpful to me.

I like the way @SPR does it, but it my case I think it would require I do a lot of extra plumbing/pipe hiding, which would be a serious challenge for where my aquarium is currently located if I understand it correctly. I'll think about it though.

I think all of you are convincing me that my current practice of carrying around 5 gallon buckets is stupid. :) As a short term fix, maybe I'll try the two brute containers on rollers @cracker mentions. That should be fairly easy for me to do.

Although, I have a particularly bad system for mixing saltwater right now I won't even get into. That's really my first problem. You all are starting with a better core set up than I have I can tell.

SPR

Thanks for starting this thread @SPR . It could end up being very practically helpful to me.

I like the way @SPR does it, but it my case I think it would require I do a lot of extra plumbing/pipe hiding, which would be a serious challenge for where my aquarium is currently located if I understand it correctly. I'll think about it though.

I think all of you are convincing me that my current practice of carrying around 5 gallon buckets is stupid. :) As a short term fix, maybe I'll try the two brute containers on rollers @cracker mentions. That should be fairly easy for me to do.

Although, I have a particularly bad system for mixing saltwater right now I won't even get into. That's really my first problem. You all are starting with a better core set up than I have I can tell.

You don’t need any plumbing whatsoever Pat.

The Python water changer just coils up to roll out and then same to put away.

The pump and hose to refill is exactly the same. Just roll out the hose to pump in and then roll up and put away. Takes minutes and saves your back!

If you look at post 237 on page 12 of my build thread you can look at my water change equipment and marvel at its sophistication! Lol

I mainly empty the sump as I’m using a Rhowaphos reactor via the return pump so need to keep the water as clean as possible otherwise the reactor blocks up.

@DaveK im also getting older so although I sometimes still fill the RO with 5 gallons, it’s time for a smaller bucket!

Last edited:

melvis

Interesting thread...love hearing the different ways we all do the most boring of tasks lol.

As I've only got a C130, it's far less work than most of you guys. I make up two 10L containers of RODI, empty into a freshly rinsed and dried 25L bucket with lid, add RS Coral Pro salt and heat and mix for 12-24 hours (depends on what time I've got to do the WC). Then I syphon the old water into a 10L container, chuck, then repeat.

I then carry the freshly mixed saltwater from the kitchen to the tank and simply lift and gently pour. I did have some hose to pump it back but the wife commandeered it for something in the garden and I keep meaning to replace before I throw my back out again lol.

cracker

I got the rollers at Harbor Freight They were blue & made of some type of plastic with steel reinforcement. I can haul a heavy 30/40 gls around . The wooden ones work for much less water amounts . a lot of weight causes them to sag. When buying some check the weight capacity . Now brute makes rollers for these can but I don't know How much weight they can carry. Oh Ya they don't like carpet !

Susanedw

I'm getting ready to change my system. With the 66 gal, I'd take out 8-9 gal in a 10 gal brute on a harbor freight dolly. Roll into bathroom and tip into tub. Then roll in the 20 gal brute on brute wheels (they snap onto the bottom) and fill as needed. Also do the fish qt tank in same room.

With the 125 tank in living room, it's a bit harder. Just did my first "official" water change today. The living room has a step down so can't use my 10 gal can or the 20. So I use a water change hose (tubing is really too small, need to spend the extra and get a phython) and drain to 10 gal on entry tiles then same hose from 20 gal of salt water back to tank. Trouble is, I had to use the 10 gal plus a 5 gal to change about 12 gal so neither were full.

My new plan is to use the 20 gal that holds fresh water for old water changes water and mix salt in the other 20 gal. Then I can do one tank, roll to the next and hopefully each can will deal with the 2 tanks, and maybe even the 45 gal and 37 qt tanks as they don't need a lot changed out. Looking to do it all in one fell swoop.

My issue is rodi water. Always flooding kitchen. Water in comes from a garden hose hooked to the water in line and then water out into cans or water jugs in kitchen. I keep 2 20 gal and a 32 gal in there, all on wheels (we don't eat there so have the entire corner for water)

Going to put the 32 gal out side the back door, extend the rodi line out the window screen and fill out there and maybe add a rain barrel or other container so I can have more water in storage. Then run hose and pump to fill the 20 can in kitchen and the 5 gal jugs used for topping off ato reserviors. Maybe put a hose fixture in bottom of 32 gal brute. Would that make it so I don't need a pump? just pressure of water to fill cans? Then add "off" switch like a ball valve at the end of the hose for control.

Anyway, need to make it super simple with 4 tanks. Will love seeing what you all are doing

Nobbygas

I create my RODI in the shower room in the cellar. I then carry the water up in 25l containers. I usually change about 100 litres. I have a 125l tub that I mix in. I place this near the tank, as it has small wheels on the bottom and it's easy to roll as I have a hardwood floor. I mix the water/salt at room temperature. While it is mixing I remove 100l from the sump via an Eheim pump into 25l containers, which I then have to hump out the back and pour down the drain. When the mixing is complete, I move the tub to the sump, and pump the new water in. Once it is all in I let the Chiller/Heater bring it up to temperature. When that is finished I turn the Return Pump back on.

Well, that is what I used to do. I haven't done a water change in about two months. Two reasons. First, is it necessary? The question is, why do we do water changes? We do them to replete so-called elements that are being used up, but when you look at this theory, it's a bit wonky. How do we know at what rate the elements are being used up? The answer is, we don't. So, how much water should you change 10%, 15%, 20% to bring the levels back up to where they should be? It's just pure guesswork.
I dose Calc, Alk and Mag, and with regular testing I can keep these parameters steady. I also dose Red Sea Colours ABCD, based on the Calc usage. I get an ICP test every four months or so.
There are many many variables in keeping a reef system, but the one overriding thing I hear time and time again is 'stability'. Isn't doing say a 20% water change endangering that stability?
Water changes were essential 10 years ago, but with the introduction of products like Red Sea Colours (as an example) do we still need to stick to the 'old ways'.
I do think there are times when a water change is needed, like after dosing the tank with medication or suchlike, but do we really need to do a water change every one/two weeks?

SPR

Well, that is what I used to do. I haven't done a water change in about two months. Two reasons. First, is it necessary? The question is, why do we do water changes? We do them to replete so-called elements that are being used up, but when you look at this theory, it's a bit wonky. How do we know at what rate the elements are being used up? The answer is, we don't. So, how much water should you change 10%, 15%, 20% to bring the levels back up to where they should be? It's just pure guesswork.
I dose Calc, Alk and Mag, and with regular testing I can keep these parameters steady. I also dose Red Sea Colours ABCD, based on the Calc usage. I get an ICP test every four months or so.
There are many many variables in keeping a reef system, but the one overriding thing I hear time and time again is 'stability'. Isn't doing say a 20% water change endangering that stability?
Water changes were essential 10 years ago, but with the introduction of products like Red Sea Colours (as an example) do we still need to stick to the 'old ways'.
I do think there are times when a water change is needed, like after dosing the tank with medication or suchlike, but do we really need to do a water change every one/two weeks?

I do water changes around every 2 weeks now, mainly to clean out any rubbish in the sump but this is becoming less and less do to the mechanical filtration I use. I used to do weekly but now I change double the volume of water which is the reason for bi weekly.

I also add around 100 litres of RO top off water over a period of 2 weeks so this is fresh water replacing what’s evaporated.

With modern skimming equipment, GFO, Activated carbon, biological filtration, additives etc., I can easily see how you could get by with minimal water changes but I think this would very much depend on individual systems and how they are kept, in particular with regards to nutrient export.

I think the recommended weekly water change is good advice for most beginners to avoid some of the common problems. Once you get more knowledge you can do whatever you want and if your system can run with no water change then that’s fine and there are many that practice this.

Specially talking about my system, I probably could do minimal water changes as I have a massive amount of biological filtration in place along with mechanical means to deal with the high bioload.

BUT, I don’t mind doing a water change every 1 or 2 weeks as it literally takes no time at all really. The longest time is emptying the sump with the Python but that’s no that bad.

It just seems nice to put some fresh saltwater back into the system as I’m trying to give the inhabitants the best care I can.

The other aspect of doing a water change is that it gets you under the hood of the system we’re you can spot any potential problems hopefully before they become a real problem. If you get into the habit of just letting the system run itself you may miss something. Although I run Apex for monitoring and some other automation, I still check salinity with a Refractometer before every water change to double check it.

Oxylebius

I have a guest bathroom on the third floor that I took over for the RODI unit, water mixing and storage of tank stuff. I store rodi water in there. I mix up salt water in there using home depot orange buckets. I usually keep rodi water in storage and only whip up the salt water right before I need to use it (room temp). The frag tank is in the guest bedroom associated with this bathroom. And I have a large shelf unit holding all the spare tank parts and chemicals.

The tank is on the second floor. When I do water changes on the tank I run a 50 foot clear hose from the tank to the water closet drain on the first floor. Gravity takes over for draining. I vacuum the sand while conducting the water change. Then I take the same hose and run it from the third floor guest bathroom to the tank on the second floor to fill it. I hook up an old pump to pump the water into the tank. Gravity works here also to fill the tank, but the pump is faster.

The coral at the top of the tank may be out of the water a total of 10-20 minutes. The capricornis corals mucus up a little bit, all other sps just close up and once water is back in the tank all open up as if nothing happened. No issues. I have the tank lights off to lessen the light/heat on the sps corals that are out of water.

I blow the rocks of debris every other day or so. I've got some areas with little water movement. And stir up the sump weekly.

~15-20% water changes biweekly. I've gone as long as 6 months w/o water changes last year, but there is some chemical limiting that I don't know what it is. So, water changes at least monthly help to replenish what I'm not dosing. For the most part the water changes are to bring down nitrates and not to replenish chemicals since I am dosing so many of them.

Paul B

I go down here with 5 empty buckets and one that has beer in it. I look at the ocean for a while and have a few beers. Then I sit on one of the buckets for 10 or 15 minutes while I ponder the situation.

Then I am getting hot so I find a more comfortable place to sit while I think about getting that water.

After 4 or 5 beers I forget what I am doing there so I sit on my boat and finish the beers. Put on some vintage Linda Ronstadt and think about something else. :cool:

Pat24601

I go down here with 5 empty buckets and one that has beer in it. I look at the ocean for a while and have a few beers. Then I sit on one of the buckets for 10 or 15 minutes while I ponder the situation.

Then I am getting hot so I find a more comfortable place to sit while I think about getting that water.

After 4 or 5 beers I forget what I am doing there so I sit on my boat and finish the beers. Put on some vintage Linda Ronstadt and think about something else. :cool:

Now that’s a good system!

Nobbygas

Some people should be banned ! I am at least a five hour drive away from any coast (easier to fly!), and currently shoveling the latest batch of snow to fall. It's -5 degrees today....and it's Monday.

SPR

Ive been laughing at this all morning Paul - very amusing! lol

Pancho75

Now that is the way it should be done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPR