Water Change - Transfusion Method

soriano

What do you guys think of doing a water changes Transfusion Style?

- Install a High-level float switch in the sump that is set for the correct water level of the sump.
- Connect the switch to a Power Head in the sump (located at the front of the sump) that drains into a sink or floor drain.
- Place the float switch on a power switch so that you have control over the switch and pump.

To do a water change:
1) make sure sump is at correct water level, add fresh RODI to bring to appropriate level based on evaporation
2) Turn on power to the float switch/power head
3) Pour new SW water into the return chamber of the sump

New water gets pumped into the display. Old water enters the sump but raises the level of the water in the sump. High-level float switch triggers, pumping old water out from the front of the sump.
When you've finished pouring the new water, the pump will continue to evacuate water until it reaches the original water level...

System never turns off.
The only bucket involved is the one for new SW but process can easily be modified to pump from a SW barrel. Also could be setup on timer... or controller

(Just thinking outside of the box. All automated WC procedures i've seen talk about removing old water first)
I know that the risk of pumping good water out with old is there... but is reduced by the position of the PH and where you introduce the new SW.)

DaveK

This method can work but there are a few things to keep in mind.

As you start to replace water it mixes with the existing water as you go along in the change you start to remove more and more of new water your adding. So if you did a 10 gal water change on a 100 gal tank, you'd only change about 9 1/2 gal of water of old water.

The other danger is pumping out your sump if you run out of new water. Carefully test the system to make sure this can't happen, dual float switches in series in a good idea here.

soriano

Thanks for the response Dave!

Yeah, I expected to lose some good water in the process but I'm good with that if it means not having to lug pails.

As far as pumping out too much from the sump, the pour of the new water would be slow so that levels can be monitored.

Yay! - Weekend Project!