Wacky Pod?

HBnano

I was feeding my gorgonia and noticed this dude snuggled up on a branch. I figure he's a harmless pod of some kind, but my biggest fear is that he is a baby mantis. Anyone have any ideas? When I poked him with a stick he zoomed into the rocks extremely fast. Reminded me of a pillbug you'd find in the backyard under a rock.
Bug.jpg

new reefer 03

if its that HUGE thing in the pic its deffinately not a pod. maybe a mantis how old is your tank? did you buy your LR cured or uncured???

HBnano

The pic is an extreme closeup. The bug was maybe 1/8". The tank is 4 months old and has cured, live rock.

HBnano

I kinda thought it might be a chiton. REALLY hoping it isn't a mantis. It was a dull grey/brown, and the mantis I've seen have some pretty striking colors.

cbrownfish

Yes, looks like an Isopod to me as well. Compare the pics and be sure that it is not a predatory species.....looks suspect to me.

HBnano

Yes, it looks a lot like the pic of Sphaeromatidae. I haven't seen it in the gorgonia since I poked it with a stick. I'm inclined to think it's harmless. Thanks for the assistance.

hma

It is an opportunity due to the first picture. Unfortunately, the second picture is a little too indistinct for a clear statement but It can absolutely be a Sphaeromatidae.