Vortech MP10 keeps falling

Ripperj

Twice in the last week, and several times in the last month, my MP10 fell off my 130d. I'm not using the spacer and the glass is clean. It happens at night when the pump is in reduced speed. The rubber on both halves is in good shape and the heads are aligned properly with no vibration.
Any ideas?

Tokalosh

This is first I've heard of this, a little puzzling if you ask me.
The magnets are normally pretty strong and don't budget at all.

I do know that they are a little weak when using the rubber spacers.

Tok

ENZO

This is first I've heard of this, a little puzzling if you ask me.
The magnets are normally pretty strong and don't budget at all.

I do know that they are a little weak when using the rubber spacers.

Tok

Tok on an RSM 250 do you have to use the rubber spacers?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Twice in the last week, and several times in the last month, my MP10 fell off my 130d. I'm not using the spacer and the glass is clean. It happens at night when the pump is in reduced speed. The rubber on both halves is in good shape and the heads are aligned properly with no vibration.
Any ideas?

Are you using the sticky pads and tie straps to hold the cord up?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
If the dry side is being fully supported by a tie strap, there really is no reason it should be falling...baffling..

Any ideas?

Mine does this some times. A snail or hermit crawls in and stops the impeller. When that happens the dry side keeps spinning a little and changes polarity which ejects the wet side. I guess it would also happen if the wet side was going bad and binding.

No mate, not on a 250.

Tok

Per Ecotech, The glass on the 250 is too thick for the MP10. We are supposed to be using MP40's :rolleyes: .

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Honestly I think the MP40's would be to strong and overpowering, the MP10's work just fine. I have never run mine at max either.

Tok

Same here, two MP-10s in my 250 and have them running at 70% and never had one fall off.

Clearly not the op's problem as its a 130. well within the MP10 specs. I suspect their issue is similar to what happens in mine. Especially as it happens at night.

I run my MP10 at 100 % without any issues. Having said that, they really don't have the bite that the mp40 has on much thicker glass. I would think that the 250 is on the edge of the mp10 capability. Well the RSM 250 is only .5mm out.

I would not mind the MP40 at all. it has a much broader flow. just run it slower. Thing that stops me is its cost prohibitive for this little tank. I have realized that my mp10s die with this tank. So at this point if one were to go out i would probably replace it with a mp40.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I have tried MP10's a couple of times. I may be one of the few that does not like them. The last one that I had was doing the same thing.

Is it new or used. It may be that you need to take the wetside completely apart and clean it. That was what I had to do to solve the problem.

Ripperj

I was wondering if it was a snail stopping the propeller. Not sure what i could do about it if that is the cause.
Thanks for all the ideas.
Keith

jrbass

you have any big turbo snails? those are like a bull in a china shop and believe they could push it off.

w00t

I know you said the glass was clean and the rubber pads were in good shape, but are the pads nice and clean? About all I can think of, that does seem really odd though.

I honestly can't imagine mine doing that, I've never had it move at all and every time I put it on it seems to be on there good. Heck I don't even have the ties installed so nothing is helping hold the dry side up. In fact I've had it completely off overnight a few times, while I let hermits clean the inside of it for me lol.

Ripperj

The rubber pads are very clean as I worry bout the glass getting scratched. All my snails are small, small enough that some could get into the wet side.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
When mine kept falling I emailed Ecotech. Here is what they told me.

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 18, 2013, at 11:58 AM, Rob Wilkinson <Rob.Wilkinson@ecotechmarine.com> wrote:

Debbie,

I think you should disassemble the wetside to see if any debris was pulled into the magnet area in the wet frame.

Best,
Rob Wilkinson
Customer Service Representative
EcoTech Marine
P: 800-785-0338 EX 106
F: 888-500-2907
Rob.wilkinson@ecotechmarine.com
www.ecotechmarine.com

Email Privacy Statement

The information contained within the referenced, linked, or directed email communication is intended to be a confidential communication between the original sender and recipient, and is to be treated as confidential. All works, ideas, or copy within are copyrighted by EcoTech Marine International Inc., and are not to be used in any manner other by which they were intended by EcoTech Marine Inc. If you believe you have received this or any other email in error, please contact brett.johnson@ecotechmarine.com.

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 11:10 AM
To: Rob Wilkinson
Subject: Re:

Rob,
Thanks for the quick response.
The tank is a Red Sea Max 250, the glass in is 10mm or .40 inch.
I did try trying it off and reattaching them. They still won't stay attached to each other.
Yesterday, I thought I had it fixed, but it was noisy. I went back to tiling my bathroom and my husband came up and got me told me that they had separated again and the wetside was laying on the bottom. I cleaned off the back of the wetside, making sure there was no sand. I cleaned both sides of the glass, but it won't work correctly.

Thanks.
Debbie
To: "dgaither59@bellsouth.net" <dgaither59@bellsouth.net>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 10:46 AM
Subject: RE:

Debbie,

Double check the glass thickness of your aquarium. You might need to use the included rubber spacer.

They will always seem to repel one another if the pump is running. Power the unit off before attempting to re-couple the wet and dry sides.

Best,
Rob Wilkinson
Customer Service Representative
EcoTech Marine
P: 800-785-0338 EX 106
F: 888-500-2907
Rob.wilkinson@ecotechmarine.com
www.ecotechmarine.com

Email Privacy Statement
The information contained within the referenced, linked, or directed email communication is intended to be a confidential communication between the original sender and recipient, and is to be treated as confidential. All works, ideas, or copy within are copyrighted by EcoTech Marine International Inc., and are not to be used in any manner other by which they were intended by EcoTech Marine Inc. If you believe you have received this or any other email in error, please contact brett.johnson@ecotechmarine.com.

Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2013 3:42 PM
To: ecotechservice; Johnathan Carvallo

Country

United States
Please enter your questions in the box below.

My MP10ES makes funny noise and then the wet side releases from the dry side. Once this happens they repel each other.