Very high calcium level

Status
Not open for further replies.

erawling

I recently did a large water change and now my calcium level is about 560 ppm.
The other reading are,PH 8.2,alk 7dkh,P04 0,Nitrate0.
I don't have a magnesium kit at the moment.
I know threads like this have been done to death but I would like to know what you would do.

Schwa

If its just your calcium I wouldnt worry about it. You may get a "snowstorm" in your tank from the calcium coming out of solution but wait it out and you will be fine in a week or so. Too much calcium in your system isnt really harmful to anything in your tank over a short term.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
What salt mix are you using and have you tested the calcium levels of the mixed salt before adding it to the tank ? Have you been adding any calcium supplement ? With calcium levels that high sudden precipitation is a real concern, keep an eye on your alkalinity levels and test your magnesium levels even if you have to test it at the LFS.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
There should not be any precip at that those levels as long as he does not jack-up the pH and/or Alk. Precip at those levels is ~ 700 -800 ppm Ca++

Robzilla

What are some ways to lower just calcium? Mine is just barely outside of the ideal range and it isn't bothering me, but it is something I should probably know.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
There is no need to lower Ca++ just let them come down on their own.

PSU

He could but if he gets the Alk to high or pH he will see a snow storm. I will grant that there are quite few salts on the market that have values like his to include even higher Alk than he has with no issues. Having Ca++ that high servers no purpose, unless one is to lazy to do a WC or add sup's. It does NOT make corals grow faster and if anything stresses them more.

Status
Not open for further replies.