Very cool new alveopora!

tektite

Being a collector of goniopora and alveopora I couldn't turn this one down :)

IMG_6796copy.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Very pretty Tek ! Is that a Goni or a Alveo?

Have you had long term success (over 12 months) with goniopora?

One of the few corals I have lost (and one of the few early on I impulse bought at lfs without researching here on RS 1st) ... mine did fine for 6 months & them over the next 6 months slowly receded and I took him out.

Never had a Alveopora but read this... Being easier to care for than Goniopora, any of the Alveopora species make a good alternate for the novice reef aquarist, who is seeking a coral similar to the hard to maintain Goniopora.

Alveopora Coral, Branched

tektite

Yes, I have one goniopora I've had for 3 years (ORA red goniopora, the easiest goni to keep), 3 others I've had for almost 2 years now (green, green with purple/blue tips, and gold), and a few others I've had for under a year (neon lime green, blue, pink, green, and a few babies). I just got my first alveopora a few months ago.

tektite

The one I just posted is an alveopora. You can tell by the number of tentacles on each polyp, goniopora have 24 and alveopora have 12.

ReefApprentice

I also have a small hitch hiker goni on my clam that is green.But from what i have read they dont do well long term so any secerts?

tektite

Best things I can say are food (under rather than over skimming), and absolute stability. I keep my alk, cal, salinity, and temp rock solid. Love my Apex controller! Non-zero nutrients too. Don't need much but some definitely help.

Feeding it with small foods like phyto, rotifers, cyclopeeze, etc will help a lot though I don't actively feed mine. A 2 liter bottle cut in half over the coral helps keep the food around the coral long enough for it to grab some and eat. Easy to get the food to the coral through the neck of the bottle with a baster. They are VERY slow eaters and if there's flow or other fish/inverts going after the food they don't stand much chance of getting any.