Uv sterilizer

Will2513

Hi everyone.
New here.
I want to know if a Vecton 400 is a good uv sterilizer.
I am having a big bacteria bloom and iv just brought one and it's been running 24hrs now and I can't see a difference. Is that even enough time.
Thanks

DaveK

I don't think there is too much difference between UV sterilizers. It's mostly a question of sizing the unit. More to the point, do you really need one at all? Bacteria blooms usually go away on their own in a few days. Typically they occur in newly set up tanks.

Installation and flow rate is very important when using UV. You need to give the UV time to kill what your trying to get rid of. Algae doesn't tank much. Bacteria takes a bit more UV. Diseases lik SW ich require quite a lot. You usually want a fairly slow flow rate through the unit. This may mean using a T in the maki pump's return line and valves to send only part of the pump's flow through the UV unit.

I'd expect a bacteria bloom to be cleared up in a day or two at most.

You may have a completely different problem. If it's a new system, this could be fine particulate matter from the live rock or sand.

Will2513

Its been almost 2 weeks now. Its really green i did add phyto so I was told it is that this blooming.
My return line goes into a manifold where it branches off onto my skimmer and another I use for the uv. If I close the valve a bit will that expose the water to the uv a bit longer

Uncle99

Can you give us some starting info?
How big?
How long running?
How much Rock?
Current parameters, especially nitrate and phosphate.

Why add phyto?
Are you feeding something?

Just checking...