Uv sterilizer and protein skimmer

DUCKSTER

Hey Guys I finally have my tank up and running. I'm now looking to add my protein skimmer and UV sterilizer. there are so many on the market I'm not sure which way to do....is there any advice on some that will do the job for my 90 gal....
Thanks; RS ROCKS!:turntable:dryer::apint:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I'm currently using the Vertex Omega 150 on my 90 gallon and I love it! It's compact, pulls a TON of skim, quiet (like whisper quiet - I really only hear the return pump humming), fits in the sump easily, and super easy to clean!

My UV sterilizer is the Aqua Ultraviolet Classic 15 watt. No ich yet and I have a tang (*furiously knocking on wood*).

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
The super reef octopus skimmers are the best bang for the buck IMO. Lots options out there so you need to give us a price range to work with, many will do a fine job.

As for uv's, you might not need one but its a personal choice. When I was researching mine, the emperor aquatics line came up as "the best" from my readings. You could do the 25 for your 90g.

DaveK

I think any decent skimmer will do a fine job on your tank. Expect to spend some money on it though. The bargain low priced ones thend to be of low quality, and don't work well. A good skimmer should last many years.

As for UV, I would add it only if you have a specific problem that UV is going to solve. It will not do much for parasitic infections such as ich or velvet. It is good at clearing water due to algae in the water column itself. Think green water. It is also good for clearing bacteria in the water. However, this is not always a good thing. Many times you want a certain amount of bacteria and algae, since it's food for filter feeders. For these reasons, I don't usually recommend the use of UV.