Used RSM 250 getting back in

mattaleca

Just set-up a used rsm 250 Friday. Is there anyway to adjust the flow of the left pump, 640gph or what fixes are there so that it doesn't blow sand everywhere? Maybe a splitter? Also lots of micro bubbles in the water today. Yesterday was crystal clear. What gives?

Matt

dburkart

Matt,

Welcome, put some pics up... I set the left hand pump so that it is directed towards the front and somewhat towards the center of the tank. It does move the sand around a bit, it pays not to use to fine sand. The MB's should ease as the pum breaks in. Take a look at the stickies, Glen has a great thread regarding the skimmer. Ask questions, I am a newbie and the help received on RS is fabulous.

Dave

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Congrats on the RSM 250

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ur skimmer will settle down with time. Pics?

........milli's hate me.

mattaleca

So it looks like the protein skimmer pump is heating my tank up. Last night I turned the skimmer off since it wasn't producing any waste (probably since there is any real livestock in the tank), and the temp dropped 2 degrees to 75.5. Adjusted the heater this morning to see what it is when I get home tonight. Also the small pump on the right is working at half capacity. Has anyone replaced the smaller pump with another larger one so they are even capacity in the tank? Seems like that would be a cheaper fix than replacing the small pump and adding a korilla to that side. Should I be concerned with the protein skimmer pump with this heat issue or is this normal? Does this protein skimmer run loud (the first one I ever used)? Thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
So it looks like the protein skimmer pump is heating my tank up

This is the case... in fact I use a spare one to mix my sw for changes & I never have to heat the water, it brings it to tank temp 80

Many run chillers, I don't, but I keep my home at 73f year round and run the RSM rear cooling fan 24 x 7

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If you were asking me the above question, I run the stock pumps, like them so much, I bought some spare ones from members that no longer needed them - like members that converted to running a new skimmer in an added sump

anjl97

Hello! We upgraded to the RSM250 in February, and this site has been INVALUABLE!!!! I found on one of the threads about using the LocLine, and replaced the left side nozzle thingy (technical term, you know!), with an a couple of links and a 3 inch flare nozzle. This really brought down the flow rate, maybe too much. Using a splitter with two nozzles resulted in almost no flow, so don't do that! I'm toying with the idea of a 3/4 to 1/2 inch reducer and then using a 1/2 flare nozzle to bump up the flow a bit, but still keeping it more dispersed. Lots of people talk about different pumps and skimmers, but there are also lots of people telling you how to make what you have work better. And read everything Glen posts. Most of all, have fun with it. It's a great tank that will support a kitty on the hood. Still working on that one! Oh no. I think I just compromised my supreme lurker status!

mattaleca

Thanks for all the great feedback. I switch both pumps 1 & 2 to rio 1700. Had to mod both inlets by cutting it flush then added some scrap hose between it and the side wall to keep the pump from kissing the wall. This lowered the temp considerable. I'm running 76-77 consistently, no to get the thermo dialed in and I'm ready to go.
This week we've lost 2 of our 4 peppermint shrimp. They just dont want aiptasia for dinner. I guess ill try the berghi nudis. The tank is cycled with a high ph of 8.2, 0 on amon nitrite & nitrate.
Tonight we found a visitor to the rocks its a hairy looking crab about 1". Should I get him out soon, bad or good.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Tonight we found a visitor to the rocks its a hairy looking crab about 1". Should I get him out soon, bad or good.

Without a pic, hard to say... but there is a very good chance... if he is hairy and a hitchicker, he is bad & you would want him out...

on the aiptasia - try Red Sea Aiptasia-X

Red Sea Aiptasia-X - YouTube

or check this out Zapper, inventor is RS member PaulB

http://tb-aquatics.amazonwebstore.c...src=froogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=froogle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3daSleDjD9E

mattaleca

We got a raccoon butterfly the other night. He seems to be slowly getting the apts. Now to deal with the fire worms that all of a sudden showed up. Will a six line eat them? How do I load pics from an iPhone 4s?

mattaleca

Has anyone tried stunner strips as their sole lighting option? I can't imagine they are strong enough. The lights put out way too much heat. This sucks. Im bleeding money just to try to make this tank balance. I can't believe a chiller is the only option to regulate the temp. Something must be wrong.

Nowellsy SNR

Some people dont run chillers i think Glenn is running his 250 pretty standard and can control the temp, its the combo of lights and pumps that make the tank so warm i've never had to run a heater even in the winter months.

Good luck trying to get a stable temp i've ran a chiller pretty much from day 1.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Your heat is coming from the skimmer pump as much as anything, I have a spare skimmer pump I use to mix my sw & it brings temp to 81 - with running the rear cooling fans & keep our home at 73f - my tanks stays at 80 (no chiller) - which all my corals & fish thrive at... some like lower tank temps, and it seems to me is key as there is a range of like 76 - to 86 that seems to work, but the majority of the worlds corals live in temps between 83 to 85 F - Ronald Shimek has written pretty extensively on this ... my stock 130D thrived with no chiller at 83F

Tank Temperatures - What Is Optimal For A Saltwater Aquarium?