unknown worm

these things are like little rabbits,im thinking they are bad but cant get an id off the web.any thoughts of what they are...other than flats....the tube and red spot are the butt end:) thanks

i was told they were the dreaded red flat worm ....im hoping that they were wrong and you where right because they are in my show tank now...grrrrr.ill do a better search on sea hare when i get home tonight and THANKS for the info it helps alot :D :D :D

ScottT1980

I can't believe I am even questioning Boomer :( and while it could be the nudibranch ID, I still say it could also be a flatworm. It looks like there is another flatworm at the top right corner of the picture as well. When you say, "they are like rabbits" are you reffering to their reproduction rates? If so, then I would almost assuredly say you have the red flatworm.

Its tough to tell by that picture but just a hunch on my part...

Take er easy
Scott T.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Isn't a nudibranch a type of flatworm? Sorry if that is a dense question - I'll blame it on my serious head cold. Did the statement "they are like rabbits" mean they resembled rabbits or they were multiplying like rabbits? I thought that it really only took one worm - they can divide themselves, or reproduce sexually, or both.....Boy my head cold is a doosy! lol

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Last edited:

Boomer

Isn't a nudibranch a type of flatworm?

No Nikki, it is a sea shell with no shell or a seashell with an internal shell.

Boomer

:laughroll :laughroll :laughroll

I think this will be one of those .1 % times :D It is always nice to be questioned and double checked. If you hadn't questioned then where would we be but maybe 100 % incorrect.

ok im back from work....the first link is an exact match,so i do have the dreaded reds:( so do i let em go and hope for the best or try to kill em with flatworm exit and take a chance of killing my tank when they die and give off the nasty excretions?(sp)

Boomer

What first link :confused:

This one was the first link and they are not worms. How many do you have ? Yoiu will not find these in high numbers 1 or 2. If you have many more,i.e 5, 10 ,20 etc.. them more than likely they are flat worms. Try for a new pic some we are sure:D . If it is a Aplysid, it will have two "rabbit like ears"

http://www.seaslugforum.net/aplysaga.htm

030223.jpg

or this one, red flat worms

http://www.seaslugforum.net/display.cfm?base=flatworm2&id=5836

m5836convb.jpg

Last edited:

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Originally posted by Boomer
Isn't a nudibranch a type of flatworm?

No Nikki, it is a sea shell with no shell or a seashell with an internal shell.

OK, I feel really dumb. :away: I'm sure if I would have thought before I posted, I wouldn't feel so silly right now.

Brucey

Nikki, a nudibranch just looks like a slug to me .... but sometimes with a little hump on there back. Brucey

ok karma added...now as for my earlier question do i try exit or let em die off by them self?????ive read a massive die off from exit will kill the tank.....:)