Unknown Algae on Live Rock

datahoe

I need help identifying these algae that is growing over one of my live rocks and starting to kill some of my coral. It's a tough leather-like algae. I pulled some off but it is too difficult to peel it all away. Not sure what it could be but it is continuing to grow. Any help would be appreciated. I hate to get rid of the rock but I'm not sure what else I could do. I have other corals that are growing on it.IMG_4239.JPG IMG_4234.JPG IMG_4236.JPG IMG_4239.JPG IMG_4234.JPG IMG_4236.JPG

DaveK

That looks more like a soft coral or possibly a gorgonian. Most likely it came in on the rock and just grew from there. Don't be in too much haste to get rid of it, since it might be desirable. For now, I'd say trim it back as needed.

It's not unusual to find multiple corals competing for space on a piece of LR. In some cases you can frag off some of the pieces to other rock, assuming it's something you want.

If you do feel a need to get rid of it, trim off as much as you can and treat the area with one of the Aiptasia control methods, such as Red Sea's Aiptasia-X or similar products.

It is possible to remove the rock and bleach it, but this will kill everything on it, and usually something to be done only as a last resort. This is not something I'd usually recommend.