Uniseals in place of aquarium bulkheads?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I am planning to use 1" uniseals in place of the 1" bulkheads for the 6 returns on my 65 hex. The advantage is the length my plumbing sticks out the side of the tank will be cut by more than 2", the other advantage is I can remove the plumbing without cutting if I need to.

I see people use uniseals in 200+ gallon stock tanks, 55 gallon barrels, and even large trash cans. Has anyone used these in an aquarium?

Any and all comments, info, ideas, or just you opinions are welcome!

I have ordered them and will do a test run outside just to see if they work, I would still like to get some feedback on this idea.

Thanks
Eric

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
One more thing, I read that the holes need to be exact size and smooth so there is no burrs to damage the uniseals. This has been taken care of, the holes are perfectly sized and burr free.

rgfast

not to sound dumb but what is a unseal I realise it replaces bulkhead just never seen one

emailed 1"1/2 is fine thanks

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
It's like a rubber bushing or gromet, you fit it into the hole, then shove the pvc through the uniseal and it expands to create a very sung fit.

Check my SPS tank journal below last page has pics of them installed.

rgfast

I can picture that in my head I think I would use some clear silcone around gromet for cheap insurance but does sound like it would work well

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I though about it but seriously if these thing are going to leak silicone wouldn't help. ;) I actually got worried I might break the glass pushing the pipes through, I have no doubts after checking them today that they will hold up.

Here's some pictures.

Inside view
utf-8BSU1HMDAxNjAtMjAxMDAzMjMtMjMyO.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNjQtMjAxMDAzMjMtMjMzM.jpg

Outside view
utf-8BSU1HMDAxNjMtMjAxMDAzMjMtMjMzM.jpg

I left the outer pipe long so it can be cut off and still have enough for the final plumbing, I don't even want to try and get the pipe back out now that it's dry.