Uniseal Test For Those Interested

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I decided to use Uniseals in place of bulkheads, what I have is 6x1" returns from the sump and a 1500gph overflow kit.

The reason for using uniseals is to cut down on the length of the plumbing sticking out the side of the tank. I managed to shave off about 2.5" so it's a substantial difference.

Here's a picture from 2 1/2 days ago when I filled the tank for test.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxNzUtMjAxMDAzMjQtMTA1M.jpg

I have not doubt these will hold up for the long haul. Installing them take a little work and a lot of force to get the pipe through the uniseal, even with lubrication.

I have been abusing the seals 3+ times daily to try and intentionally create a leak with no luck, these things are solid.

What I mean by abusing is twisting, turning, pushing, pulling, and basically working the 1" pvc in a motion similar to what you would do to remove a fence post. I have even applied enough pressure I was worried the glass might break, I have not been gentle and still not a drop of water. There has also been some pretty drastic changes in day and night temps these past few days, so that's a little more abuse for the seals to with stand.

I'm 100% sure these will not leak, I am going to replace these seals due to the abuse I put them through but if anyone has considered using these one a tank I'd say it's definitely an option.

Just wanted to share my results to this point, I had no luck trying find information on whether or not they were safe to use in a glass aquarium.
Ok back to the abuse, I will keep posting results for the next couple days till I drain the tank, I am sure they will be the same.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
These seals are made to hold up to saltwater and other chemicals, they are used on skimmers, stock tanks, 55 gallon drums, trash cans, Pvc, basically anywhere you can't fit a standard bulkhead. I just couldn't find any info about using them on a glass tank.

Here's some pics of the testing, just picture the angle in a rotating motion.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTctMjAxMDAzMjYtMTkyN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTgtMjAxMDAzMjYtMTkyN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTktMjAxMDAzMjYtMTkyN.jpg

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
3 1/2 days and it's all good, :) I worked the seals about 8 times today and still no leak.

BLAKEJOHN

They seem to be a good alternative to bulkheads. The only thing that I question is how long will they last? I understand that they are resistant to acids and grease, but being that they seal by inward pressure against the pipe, they need to remain pliable. The problem I see here is after a years time. Regardless of the seals resistance I think it will dry out, shrink a little and harden. As long as the pipe is never moved once this happens i would not foresee a problem. But one good bump while working on the tank later on or removing the pipe for cleaning, I dont think it will ever seal again.

Just my thoughts....

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Uniseals will not harden over time like rubber, so that's not a problem.

The seal created by the uniseal is the whole way through but a lot of it is on the inside of the hole, It's a snug fit from the outside in.

I was skeptical as well but after reading up and realized these are made for commercial and industrial use and built to last, I decided to give them a try. I think the hobby more or less adopted them it was not the intended purpose when they were made. :)

It looks like they should last a while, but I cringe every time I see you twisting the pipes like that. It looks like the glass will break every time.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Cool thread Eric.
Uniseals work well with saltwater. They have been in use in the hobby for many years now and I have never heard of one failing. Yet ;)
The normal application for them is equipment like skimmers and such.
Interesting idea to use them as bulkheads for space and money saving.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Thanks Frankie, I figured this info should be posted for others, I wouldn't recommend anyone else trying this test as they are a little violent, :) I'm willing to take the loss of a tank if it happens to break.

Mike, I got to push them to the limit if I am going to call this a test :) I would have used a plastic or rubber container but I it would flex with the seals and not really apply the full pressure to the seal, with glass there is no give so the seals take all the abuse. :)

rgfast

Eric looked at wedsite didn't see anything as far as thickness. Just wonderring about using with glass 3/4 to maybe an 1"

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
A shot showing how I pull them in and out, this take quite a bit of effort

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTItMjAxMDAzMjgtMTgxN.jpg

You can see I have pulled them out far enough to knock off the 90s I had on the ends, still no leaks.
utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTMtMjAxMDAzMjgtMTgxN.jpg

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
There is alternatives, just not as easy. You can grind it, router it, or torch it :) lol

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
14 days in and all is well :)

Tomorrow I will drain the tank and refill it to continue, the water is getting a little nasty plus I want to check one of the seals just to see how they are taking the abuse on the inside.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Abused for 18 days and now I'm done with the testing, :) there is no doubt in my mind that they'll hold up.

Draining.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjEtMjAxMDA0MTAtMTUxM.jpg

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Thanks Al, I'll get some pictures of the seals later today, there is little to no damage considering I was literally trying to destroy them. :) Obviously you can't put that much stress on anything without a little damage.