Unexplained hole in fish tail getting bigger

foxsavage

I have a Cherub Angelfish in QT, I've had him about 2 weeks. A couple days ago I noticed a small hole in his tail and it's getting bigger. I don't have any idea of what it could be or what to do about it so any help will be appreciated.

leebca

i'd rather have some good photos. Post if you can.

What, if any, color is at the edge of the hole / whitish / reddish / What is the size of the fish and the hole?

foxsavage

The color is the same at the edges as the rest of the fish. He's about 1 inch long. The hole started out very small about the size of a bb, now it's at least twice as big and it's a notch that looks like something took a bite but he's alone in QT so that's not possible.

foxsavage

2011-07-22_16-20-05_912.jpg

DaveK

What other livestock do you gave in the tank? It looks like your fish was in a fight with something. Fish will generally regrow fins without any problems.

leebca

Getting bigger doesn't make a lot of sense, under the conditions you've reported. Is the fish eating? If so, what?

Did you get the fish from an LFS or online? If the LFS, you might want to check out any other fishes that the LFS received at about the same time this fish came in -- or -- how long did the LFS have this fish?

Are you making regular water changes in the QT? You don't want any build up of poisons. Are you frequently checking for ammonia and nitrites in the water and doing water changes. If not, start checking for ammonia and nitrites, tell me what you are feeding the fish, and if you haven't done regular water changes do a very large one now (over 70%) according to the sticky in the forum as to how to perform water changes.

There are also other stickies in this Forum you should read. Read the one and follow it for adding immune boosters to the fish's foods.

If it is a bacterial problem, the diet and water quality would be a stress source and the fish might require an antibiotic. However at this point, I'm not sure about it having to do with a bacterial problem. Tackle the diet and water quality concerns and see if the fish doesn't start its healing process. :)

foxsavage

He eats my mush I made from your recipe with selcon twice a day and I put live macro algae for him to nibble on between feedings. I do a 10% water change once a week. I've never detected any nitrite or ammonia but I'll check again. I did detect some nitrate, about 20. There's no skimmer just a small biowheel with a carbon pad.

leebca

Well, the food is very good to excellent. Where is the 'live' macro algae coming from? In quarantine, I would be concerned about introducing anything from the 'wild' or anything living from another aquarium, unless that aquarium doesn't have any fish in it.

The object of quarantine is that nothing from the outside that might carry parasites or disease, is introduced into the QT. Tell me more about the living macro algae's source.

Is your mush frozen and then you thaw some before feeding?
:ponder2:

foxsavage

The macro is coming from my mixed macro tank which is connected to my main tank, there are 10 fish. I guess I was unclear about the QT, I thought it was to prevent my other fish from getting sick and to make sure he's eating. The mush is frozen, I thaw it in some tank water and break it up before feeding.

leebca

I'm having computer problems. . .Anyway. . .

There is a chance that, unless your display system is totally disease/parasite/harmful bacteria free that something can get at the new fish. You can still use the live macro, but only after freezing it for 2 days and then thawing it before feeding.

Unfortunately, it turns messy when you do this freeze. It is still a great idea to add it to your mush, freezing the mush and then thawing it for feeding.

For now, just use the store-bought dried macro algae.

IF, and only IF, the hole seems to be getting worse, try to get photos. For now, just continue to monitor the hole and do perform the large water change. You should be doing the water changes every two or three days of about 25% while the fish is in quarantine to keep the build up of organics and wastes to a low level. Use the water changes as an opportunity to siphon out the tank of any detritus and 'stuff' that is in the tank corners and the QT bottom.

To get photos you might have to be very patient and sit in front of the QT for an hour or so, with your camera in its position to take a photo until the fish 'thinks' it poses no harm. Or you can try to sit in front of the tank with the camera set on the algae clip and then, put in some macro algae and snap some photos when it comes to feed off the clip. BUT like I wrote above, only do this if you think the hole is getting worse or looking bad.

If you don't have any Maracyn Two for saltwater or freshwater fishes on hand, order it or get some to have it ready.

:)

foxsavage

Ok I'll do a water change now and order the Maracyn Two. I'll keep a close eye on him and let you know if it gets worse. Thanks for the help.