Turning Lights On in the Morning

Millie

RSM 34 gallon - I've recently installed a desk lamp that comes on an hour before my tank lights do. I thought it was a good idea, seems like the bright light coming on all at once was a bit much. Think this helps, or it really doesn't matter? THX

Adalius

Certainly won't hurt the inhabitants, but you might notice some increased algae growth from the standard bulb being used. Only way to find out is to try it for awhile and see.

REEFMAN1

Has been struck by the ban stick
I Agree 100%. Ditch The Nightlight And Leave The Big Lights On/off. Poor Lighting Will Surely Cause An Alge Bloom.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Algae growth is caused by your parameters being off/ excess nutrients as well but it is not the only cause, standard bulbs are 25k to 65k which is optimum for algae/plant growth.

BLAKEJOHN

i heard algae growth comes from bad perimeters not lights

Algae needs both, nutrients and light. Without one of the two it will not grow. So you can have horribly high nutrients and no light and algae will not grow. Or you can have absolutly zero nutrients with low kelvin lighting and algae wont grow. But our reefs tanks, dispite what our test kits say, do have some nutrients. And with sunlight or standard light bulbs hitting our tank algae will grow.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
as Eric stated so well Algae can be "stimulated" from various reasons. Sometimes a tank is in "balance" between nutrients and light and a new light source will cause an algae bloom. This happens many time in the spring when the sun hits a tank when it wasn't before and an algae bloom takes off.