Tunze Wavebox?

slakker

OK... I feel like I'm posting way too much :doh: , and it may be a silly question but has anyone used a wave maker type device in the RSM?

I know the Tunze may rock the water too much and I saw a picture of a system where a Red Sea wave timer was used, but with only 1 power-head?

Basically, I want to minimize the detritus buildup on the rocks. I have to manually do this in my 14G and 8G with a turkey baster. Will be getting a Tunze Nano wavebox for my 72G Main DT, but want to see what innovative ideas are out there for the RSM.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
slakker - I very vaguely remember someone putting in some type of wavemaker, but I may be wrong. The RSM may be a bit small for wavemakers, but maybe with small powerheads it may not be a bad idea. You could probably get some intermittent flow in the tank just by mounting 2 powerheads on opposite sides, at a lower cost than a wavemaker. I have a Tunze Nanostream still in the box that I was going to mount on the left side, and point it at my right side Koralia, but it's one of those things I haven't gotten to yet.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
not a RSM but I have 2 Koralia Nanos and 1 #1 Koralia in my 10g tank pointing directly at each other. Well it's more like...

#1 & a Nano on upper left pointing right
Nano on right upper pointing left.

These opposing currents make a very erratic current IN the tank..... Looks cool and should benefit the coral population.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I was looking at the wavemakers yesterday (online), and checking out various types. Unfortunately the one I like the best is the Koralia system, which also seems to be the most expensive. If I understand the Koralia 2 powerhead system the opposing pumps alternate between minimum and maxium flow settings, with the maximum flow adjustable. Also, the standard Koralia powerheads can't be used - the new controllable DC current Koralias are needed. I've read that the standard Koralias are not good with the "on/off" type wavemakers, as it's possible that Koralias can restart with the impeller going in the wrong direction and wear out the motor quickly. The Maxi-Jet powerheads are typically recommended as they aren't adversely affected by the switching on and off quickly. I don't care for the standard Maxi-Jets, due to the flow, and suction cup mounts. You can now get the separate MJ upgrades to increase and broaden the flow pattern, and mag mounts are also available. By the time you purchase the 2 MJ upgrades it adds up to not being so cheap. I was looking at my RSM this morning, and picturing a Koralia or MJ on each side, and that would seem to eat up a lot of tank room. I may try the BigAl07 approach, and mount a Tunze Nanostream 6025 that I've yet to use, on the left, and have it and the Koralia #1 on the right pointed at each other to see what kind of non-linear, erratic flows I can get in the tank. Not quite a genuine wavemaker but it might improve things, and it would be a lot lower cost.

Edit - just did some more research on the Maxi-Jet upgrades to increase the gph and spread out the flow. Too many problems with the MJ upgrades making a lot of noise, etc. and not working well with wavemakers with the upgrade installed. Back to BigAl's method for me.

Last edited:

slakker

For fun, I put a MJ 400 Mod in to the RSM on the right... way WAY too much flow! I used a Koralia Nano I have kicking around and put a Hydor flo in pump 1. Seems to be doing ok, but definitely still have dead spots.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Interesting on the MJ400 mod - I guess those kits really do increase the flow as stated!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
rmlevasseur - good to know. What wavemaker/controller are you using, and what type of start/stop timing do you have them running at?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'm now leaning towards the Vortech MP20 - great reviews with one unit creating flow in all spots of the tank, programmable cycles and flow, and about $100 less than the Koralia wavemaker with 2 #2 DC powerheads. And the flow pattern is very broad - how it reaches all areas of the tank. Plus with the motor on the outside the heat generation isn't in the tank. Now I just need to justify the expense to myself.