Tunze Turbelle Streams

tankgirl

I just got a couple for my tank. Yow! Why are they so expensive???

Anyone added these to their tanks?
I'd love to hear whether you've noticed a big improvement?

Also; I was reading (on psas) about eductors - they increase the waterflow. Anyone using them?

achilles

I have a stream, and my corals and fish do really seem to like it. I've been able to get a more consistent flow throughtout my 90 gal tank. I think their so expensive because of the electronics required for all that speed control. Even still they are pricey, but par for the course for Tunze. I'm also a member on PSAS and saw the info on eductors. They look pretty interesting, but I haven't tried them yet.

Are you using the single or multicontroller with you tunze?

tankgirl

Thanks, mw & achilles!

achilles, I'm really glad to hear they're good. I have the 6000 with speed control and a 6080 without speed control (that one was the only one they had in stock, so I tried that first). I do notice the fish like them!!! They all got in line to swim in the current!! I can't wait to see if I can tell a difference in the corals! Yeah, that was so interesting about the eductors. I gotta find some people who're using them and ask more!

Hi jks, I got them at marine depot;
http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ph_tunzestream.asp?CartId=
As for the eductors, I know aquatic ecosystems has them. Also, another link to another place that sells them;
http://www.emperoraquatics.com/new-commeductors.html

Last edited:

essmaker

PREMIUM
wow, those sound pretty good, but after going to the website and seeing the prices I think I might hold off for a bit.

I have been at home this week and went to the LFS three times. If I ordered one of those, I think me and my reef would finding a new home.

Sometimes the spouse just doesn't understand addiction.

tankgirl

ess, I Know!!! It hurt to pay that much for a powerhead. Yeesh! But, I've got that barebottom, so I can add all the water movement I want without a sandstorm. I just figured I'd wince and do it. I sure hope they're worth it and last forever!

Maxx

TG,
i've heard good things about the streams ,you should be very happy with them.
Nick

Scooterman

:explode:

TG I've been using mine for about 6 months now!
I love the 1,800gph Soft Flow it produces! If you feel the current, It pushes more volume than High Hard pressure! I will get the 3100gph next.
I do have a gravel bottom with no problems. I plan on getting another one soon for the other end. TG just a note, These are NOT power heads, they are Stream Pumps, If you look at the way it is built, it uses a PROP not a wheel like the PHs you normally see. They supply large volume water movement, which isn't concentrated only in a tight pattern. Ok on the price issue, they are worth Every Dime, Look at the way they are Built, 17 watts, the main transformer is isolated Outside the motor & from there to the controller, this is very energy efficient & you won't get that much water movement from any other pump made without using up more electrical power, (You get what you pay for in this case)! As for as lasting, the transformer is epoxy sealed like a PH or submersible pump, nothing to break there and the motor itself is well built, each part of the system can be separated for repair if necessary but there is actually little needed.

Attachments

• tunze.jpg
    tunze.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 48

tankgirl

Hi Maxx, wooddood, Craigy & Scott! Good to see you all!
Scott, how do you have yours mounted? I didn't like the hangers and wanted the streams near the bottom of the tank, so just layed them on their sides - just like yours is in the pic you posted. Interestingly, they lay perfectly stable with no vibration or tendency to 'dance' around. A regular ph would never do that. Anyway, yeah the current is remarkable! I'm so glad to hear you're happy with yours!

mwrager

Yes, I have found that Tunze products do cost more, but what they have is quality products. My skimmer has been working for over 1 ½ now with out a problem. I know other people that have had Tunze products going for over 3 years.

Scooterman

Het TG, They Now make a Rock that you slide it in, rather than hang it. I purchased the Extension Kit, works well! In a tank deeper you may need two but I'd give them a call & see what the recommend first.

tankgirl

Hi mw & Scott!
Scott, I got the extension kits, but with the walkaround tank, it sticks out badly - no dark backround. Saw the rock, but it looks so darn unnatural on a barebottom. Plus, I can stick the stream in real rocks!

mw, nice to hear their skimmer is great!!!

This is very cool technology! Big water movement without the tissue-tearing blast of regular phs.