Tunze Nano DOC 9002 Thread.

Gavin1110

So if anyone else out there like me has the Tunze Nano 9002 DOC you all might wonder about whether, you have it dialed in right, why your not getting much skimmate, if there is anything you can do about the water level rising above it and it sucking in water when you turn your pumps off to name a few.

So with the hopes of getting a sticky I am creating this thread to help everyone out there and myself with this "great skimmer" because it seems to me like it has a steep learning curve.

Gavin1110

Thanks Tom, I recently used the mod myself and it took only a few minutes and you can use the hose from you stock RSM skimmer.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I hate to add too many stickies, but since so many 130/130D owners have gone to the Tunze 9002 skimmer it really does make sense to have a stickied thread on it, and post mods, issues and problem help in this thread. I just stickied it. :)

Ashr

I always found that the hose that came with it was to long and bent inside cutting air flow. So I cut a small part off it so it does not bend as much and it seems to work a lot more.. no bend = better air flow.

Im at work so cannot watch that vid posted above but will have to check it out.

Great idea for a sticky :)

Edit:: Great video...wow... I must do this asap!!

Last edited:

Gavin1110

Replacing the hose with the RSM stock skimmer one was the best thing to happen to my tank.

I now can have it sit low in the back chamber and not fear sucking in water when i turn off my pumps. (which is every time I feed the tank)

When I turn it back on it starts right back up without having to dry out and re-tune itself.

MCDM

Just set mine up today along with the inTank media rack. Holy **** is this skimmer amazing! Its already started pulling and in a few short hours I've got some light green tea(ish) skimmate collecting. HELL YEAH!

Dorlo

I've just removed a Tunze 9002 form my tank... it only ever produced light green skimmate with no smell, and the tank was becoming gradually overtaken by algae due to the inadequate skimming.

Also, removing the stock skimmer changed the water flow through the sump and allows most of the water to bypass the skimmer, and also lets detritus build up in the bottom of the sump. Anyone using a Tunze should consider building some DIY baffles into the sump to correct this. (The media rack might do the same job, not sure as I didnt have one)..

Anyway, i've now been back on the stock skimmer for 3 days, and its producing dry, dark brown stinky skimmate, and the tank and inhabitants are starting to look better already.

I'm only posting this as a cautionary tale for anyone considering the Tunze... it's a good piece of equipment, but if your stock skimmer is working adequately, consider sticking with it!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary Dorlo! Good points on the Tunze. Most of the 130/130D owners seem to run the rack with the Tunze, and with a filter pad in it it'll catch most of the debris.

Rossco46

iv just installed my tunze and media rack, the skimmer isnt producing any foam, and has water coming out of the air line, this cant be right can it?

Rossco46

just an update, i read through the thread from pocky (i think thats right) and it helped to solve my problem, one of the parts just had not been machined out properbly, so i just scrapped round with a pair of scissors and now its working perfectly.

thanx for every ones help :)

shingo43

A question for all Tunze users, I use mediarack with 9002,everytime I cleaned my filter floss, the water level will raise, so that the skimmer won't work unless I adjust the skimmer level, how do you guys solve this problem?