Tunze 9012

Sidvicious

Well my stock skimmer took a dive on my RSM250 and I'm kind of glad it did cause it was a nightmare and hardly ever worked correctly in the first place. I've seen a lot of people go with the Deltec MC500 in the back chamber with just the mod of cutting that little plastic bit out. Problem is that skimmer has been discontinued and parts are pretty scarce, not something I'd like to deal with. I'm just checking to see if the Tunze 9012 will fit in the back chamber? Thank you!

DaveK

I think about the only thing you can do is compare the measurements of the Tunze 9012 to the Deltec MC500 and see if you have a chance of the Tunze fitting in the same foot print. If it looks like it might, order the skimmer from a vendor that has a return policy that will refund you 100% of the money if you return it. Then try it and if it works, you'll be the expert on this modification. I don't know of anyone that has tried doing this, but maybe someone has and can give you more information.

Sidvicious

Thank you for that info. The deltec mc500 footprint is L 8.25" W 3.55" H 20.9" while the Tunze 9012 is L5.5 x W4.3 x H16.3 in. So the width is slightly bigger but smaller with regards to the length and height. You reckon it will work? The suggestion you made is wonderful but dealing with shipping back etc. is not my strong suit. I could also buy used as well.

DaveK

You would need to measure the RSM250 and see if the width of the skimmer would be a problem. I don't know for sure, but I suspect it might be.

Sidvicious

Knocking on wood the width will just barely make it! Will let you know once I measure. If the width does work, I'm thinking of just placing the skimmer head on as if it's looking directly at you and placing the magnets on the back wall.

Sidvicious

Well the width won't work on the 9012. May just end up going with the 9004. Would two of them be ok to use or just the one and emptying the cup out a bit more frequently than normal.

Sidvicious

I'm trying to avoid going HOB but if I do it will probably be with a Reef Octopus 2000 HOB. I saw a thread here about it but unfortunately the photos are gone, is there a way we can get them back so I can see how it's done?