Tube Worm Pest

Jiddy

Ive noticed these spiral tube wormlike pest start to mulitply in my tank, and wanted to know what they are. They are pretty small, but release a spiderweb like string that flows in the tank. I added some sand the other day and some sand was caught in the worms string, it really showed that there are more then i suspected. What are these guys....

Jiddy

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Sounds like a Vermetid Snail. Here is a pic of one in my tank.

61101_8305.JPG

I also have a TON of these terebellid polychaete (spaghetti worm)

Spaghetti_worms.jpg

Last edited:

flyline

hey woodstock is the medussa worm in your pic those whiteish worms? i also have those in my tank i thought that they were spagetti worms. the worms that i have build little tubes out of the sand in my tank.

flyline

woodstock thanks for the links you can defently see the difference between the two. also one quick question are the spagetti worms a bad thing to have in your tank? mine dont seem to be hurting anything they just seem to pick up food scraps here and there.........thanks

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I only have one vermetid snail. It doesn't bother any thing.

I have many, many spaghetti worms in my tank. Most are right next to corals with no issues at all. They are great sweepers of my sand bed :D

Crittervamp

You are correct flyline. I will edit my post to read spaghetti worm :)
Some of the medusa worms do produce tenticles like a spaghetti but the body is different.

Google Loimia Mudusa Images

Google terebellid polychaete (spaghetti) Images

Spaghetti Worms
I have them too, but I don't think mine look the same as in the links. Mine look like coral tunes with a few hairs coming out of them. They go inside where you cannot see them & then come back out. They may just be very young & break off easily if I move my rocks around.

Attachments

• 16516223000787789061544825125165.jpg
    16516223000787789061544825125165.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1