Trying to learn macro

forestal

Hi all, thought I would post my attempts at macro
I have a canon eos t3i - I take a lot of outdoor nature shots and classically use my zoom to take macros, but want to take better outdoor and aquarium shots.

I got a macro lens f2.5 50mm to try out as I don't want to spend too much, but am finding I can get better shots with eh 18-55mm lens that came with the camera in Av mode. I am finding the focus is a bit tougher and I can't seem to rely so well on auto
I have a tripod and ordered a collapsable lens hood (although I don't know if I can focus with this lens that close - I also ordered some wide lens macro lens adaptors for the camera to try out)
I also have on order a remote shutter release which should help.

So far my shots seem best with f8.0, Iso 100-200 for stationary objects and for fish they stink compared to a lot i see here :) (and yes i know my glass isn't perfectly clear - that always helps hehe)
also pardon the stupid watermark, it seems to keep resetting to this if i forget to reload each time to none on my Lightroom program
a few of my better shots:

Fish:
Ocellaris Clown
IMG_5333.jpg

IMG_5290.jpg

IMG_5288.jpg

IMG_5347.jpg

Any thoughts on this worm ID (hangs under my plating orange monti and never pops out much more than this
IMG_5372.jpg

IMG_5381.jpg

IMG_5387.jpg

IMG_5390.jpg

IMG_5412.jpg

IMG_5417.jpg

IMG_5420.jpg

IMG_5424.jpg

IMG_5391.jpg

forestal

getting a little better with the settings and a macro lens (cheap one :) )

Purple plating montipora - tried to minimize the glare by tweaking it a bit - but looked kind of pretty with the colors
IMG_5440.jpg

Green Stylophora is starting to color up some
IMG_5442.jpg

IMG_5493.jpg

Acan - hard to get from this angle
IMG_5537.jpg

IMG_5476.jpg

IMG_5524.jpg

IMG_5487.jpg

Pink Pocillopora recovering from multiple falls into the sand - now secure (i hope)
IMG_5523.jpg