Truth or Myth?

Marvilis

My LFS guy told me yesterday that I shouldn't keep my Skimmer on 24X7. He said I could turn it off during the day and just run it at night.

He also said the I don't need to keep my activated carbon in my tank all the time either. That I should run my tank without it for about two weeks every two months.

How true is this?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I guess you can run your tank however you want to. :yup:
What works good for some tanks might not for others.
:dunno:
I run my skimmer 24/7 (ALL THE TIME!)
And I run CPE (Chemi-Pure Elite) all the time.
My tank is over 2 years running and I've only lost 1 fish (a mandarin) & my corals seem to be growing fast & looking healthy.
One truth that I can swear to is:
Never believe everything that the LFS tells you :rolleyes:
(Cause IMO...lots of time, it's just no so!)
Good to ask at RS if there are any doubts. We talk from experience.
Wait for more opinions, there may be several.

Marvilis

Hi Diana,

Thanks for the response I too have been running my Skimmer and CPE 24X7. I actually started my tank around the same time as you, it will me two years in May for me. So far so good for my tank, besides an green hair algae issue that I just recovered from.

Oh and my corals are recovering as well due to a stupid mistake on my part. It started with my GSP's they where turning brown, my zoos weren't opening up, I lost some nice acans, then my two brain corals died!!! :'( I tested my water parameters over and over and everything was good even my LFS couldn't get to the root of the problem... Turns out my T5's needed to be replaced!!!! I couldn't believe I lost track of that, I was so mad at myself. Once I changed my T5's everything started coming back :) I will never forgive myself for that! LOL

I think I might switch to ATI's right now Im running Red Sea Max reef specs.

Anyways I read your thread and it's amazing what you've done to your tanks CONGRATS!

Pat24601

I do the exact same as Diana. I'm kind of curious what your LFS logic is because I've never heard of that. Usually people have a reason they say things (even if they aren't accurate). I've gotten a lot of contradictory advice in this hobby and most of it us just different views.

Regardless, I do both skimmer and chemical media 24/7 (except for things like water changes and sometimes feeding). Sounds like a pain to do it off and on anyway.

Snelly40

MYTH! people say corals feed more at night so turn skimmer off due to the skimmer removing bacteria or disolved solids... fine maybe they'll have a tiny bit more "food" however the pumps in a skimmer were not made to be turned on and off so you are wearing them out, secondly the skimmer is a huge source of oxygen in our water and turning it off while lights are off can bounce your pH around more than we like, also many people have seen yellowish water with this practice... if you're worried about the food, add food, but keep on skimming...

Mike Johnson

There are some people who don't run their skimmer all the time. People who are trying to increase their nitrates. Some people actually dose nitrates - go figure. If you're feeding phytoplankton you should cut it off for a couple hours for feeding. Things like that. Some people don't use a skimmer at all. I, and I'm sure most of the other average reefers, would do good to run a skimmer 24/7. There's no proof to the carbon myth whatsoever.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I agree with Patrick on the confusion it would be to have an on/off routine like the LFS guy recommended. Would be cool for someone to share some insight as to why he suggested it to you Marvilis.
There are situations where the skimmer needs to be turned off due to continuos over skimming. But as a routine, hummm :ponder2:
Maybe @DaveK could tell us if there's a reason? :cool:

Pat24601

MYTH! people say corals feed more at night so turn skimmer off due to the skimmer removing bacteria or disolved solids... fine maybe they'll have a tiny bit more "food" however the pumps in a skimmer were not made to be turned on and off so you are wearing them out, secondly the skimmer is a huge source of oxygen in our water and turning it off while lights are off can bounce your pH around more than we like, also many people have seen yellowish water with this practice... if you're worried about the food, add food, but keep on skimming...

This is actually good for me to know. I thought I was doing something wrong by almost never turnung my skimmer off when feeding because so many people do it. :)

Marvilis

What lead me to post this question, is the fact that a couple of days ago I was doing some research on an Aquamaxx HOB Skimmer and I came across a video where this guy had his skimmer on a timer. His reasoning was that the skimmer wasn't collecting waste 24x7 and that he just wanted to extend the life of his pump. So he figured putting it on a timer for an on/off schedule would be beneficial. A day after that my LFS tells me I don't need it running 24/7.

Last edited:

Dracko

Hi Diana,

Turns out my T5's needed to be replaced!!!! I couldn't believe I lost track of that, I was so mad at myself.

I suffer from CRS. (Can't Remember Sh!t) That's why I am so glad that someone turned me on to Aqualog (free download). I am now logging my tanks, and the program reminds me when I forget something scheduled. :ofr:

DaveK

I can't think of a reason to turn a skimmer off and on for most reef keepers. If you feed phytoplankton you may want to turn it off during feeding. Perhaps this was what the LFS guy was thinking about.

As for thinking your saving the motor, the start and stop activity does more wear and tear on it that just keeping it running.

Mike Johnson

The vibration of the shaft before it starts to turn magnetically free will wear it out. I know, I've had a skimmer on a switch because I turn off all pumps when I feed and the full sump will over flow the skimmer. Now I just turn off power heads and leave return and skimmer running.

Danreef

My son has a,60 G mixed reef with many LPS and he stopped the skimmer 2 years ago. I have my 14 G biocube and has been without skimmer fir the last year. Is a mixed tank also. Both tanks full of corals.

There is a point where you can have a biological balance and do not need the skimmer.

On the other side of the coin, I have not seen a predominantly SPS tank without a skimmer.

Just for safe I will always run the skimmer.

Yes....now you are asking why I have the 14 G without skimmer. It was a small skimmer with aire wood (not pump). The air wood needed to be replaced. I forgot to buy one for a couple of weeks. The guy was not skimming. I saw all was OK so I left it more and more and.....never replaced the air wood. BUT !!!! I change 3 G every weekend on a total of 8-9 G volume.

My son had a huge skimmer in his sump. Something happened and he stopped it. The same, the days passed, all was OK and he never connected it again. He does 15% WC every weekend.

Bottom line..... run the skimmer 24/7, just in case !!!!

Daniel
Ps: if you want I can post a picture of both tanks so you can see how packed are them with corals and no skimmers

Last edited:

Marvilis

I suffer from CRS. (Can't Remember Sh!t) That's why I am so glad that someone turned me on to Aqualog (free download). I am now logging my tanks, and the program reminds me when I forget something scheduled. :ofr:

Sounds like something I can use. I will look into Aqualog, thanks for the tip!

Oxylebius

Seems there are many more posts addressing your skimmer question than your carbon question. I would run the skimmer 24/7. Keeping high oxygen levels being the primary reason.

As for carbon, it has always sparked debate on if it should be used or not, how often, and if it should be used passively or in a reactor. Carbon is generally safe. This is something you can determine to use or not and how often and you would probably be okay with it in any sense.

I always run carbon (6+ years) - a bag of carbon can last you a couple of months, so taking it out of your tank for a couple weeks a month doesn't make sense. It is a waste of carbon and your money. Instead you can extend the use in the tank and replace it every two months, in this amount of time the carbon will expire (bacteria will begin to colonize the carbon and essentially clog it up and it will stop working as it should), and essentially you are allowing the tank to run a short amount of time w/o activated carbon in it b/c the bacteria colonize have taken it over.

How Activated Carbon Works
Activated carbon absorbs substances from liquid. The word absorb is important here. When a material adsorbs something, it attaches to it by chemical attraction. The huge surface area of activated carbon gives it countless bonding sites. When certain chemicals pass next to the carbon surface, they attach to the surface and are trapped. Once all of the bonding sites are filled, activated carbon stops working. At that point you must replace it before it becomes a nitrate factory.

What Does Activated Carbon Take Out of the Water

Carbon is used to remove dissolved organic compounds (DOCs) from the water. The effect of DOCs cause the water to take on a yellowish appearance they can consist of complex organic toxins produced by the creatures in the tank.

Dissolved organic compounds( DOCs ) are the result of decomposition of uneaten food, digested food and dead inhabitants among other things. While small quantities of DOCs may be harmless, as a source of nitrogen compounds, at higher levels they can lead to water quality problems. Dissolved organic compounds contribute to the yellowing of water between water changes, reducing light penetration, an important issue when photosynthetic invertebrates and macroalgae are being maintained. Elevated DOC levels can also lead to outbreaks of nuisance algae, and there also appear to be correlations between elevated DOC levels, stress, and certain fish diseases as well.

Carbon is also used to remove fish medications from the water - Among the substances that activated carbon removes at least moderately well are acetone, alcohols (including isopropyl alcohol), antifreeze, benzene, chloramines, chloroform, chlorine, chlorophyll, citric acid, dyes, herbicides, hydrogen peroxide, insecticides, iodine, ketones, dissolved oils, organic acids, pesticides, phenols (including those that create unpleasant odors), radon, solvents and tar emulsions.

What Activated Carbon Does Not Remove
Activated carbon does not remove all potential toxins or unwanted chemicals though, including the ammonia and nor does it substantially affect water hardness. Chemicals that activated carbon has little or no ability to remove include: ammonia, calcium, carbon dioxide, fluoride, lime, magnesium, nitrates, nitrites, phosphates, sodium, and iron. Lead and other heavy metals will only be removed by the use of a very specific type of carbon not normally used by aquarists. Therefore, activated carbon does not remove trace elements that benefit corals.

Pros and Cons
Pros to using carbon - Keeps the tank clean of DOCs and other toxins. Gets rid of the yellowish-green tinge water. In mixed coral tanks carbon helps to reduce allelopathy, it absorbs the toxins released by corals to harm other corals.
Cons to using carbon - Carbon dust has been proven by research to affect some fish lateral lines, essentially clogging the pores and causing fish head and lateral line erosion (HLLE). So if you buy carbon make sure you buy a high quality product. Carbon can leach phosphate, again buy a top quality carbon.

If You Use Carbon
If you use carbon, buy top quality carbon, always rinse it well before use to remove any dust, and don't leave it in your tank for too long, not only will bacteria colonize it and clog it, but it can become a dirt trap and add to nitrates.

References
http://www.hallman.org/filter/gac.html
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/newbie/index.php
http://www.fishchannel.com/saltwate.../reef-aquarium-granular-activated-carbon.aspx
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_7/volume_7_1/carbon.html
http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/energy/question209.htm
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/activated-carbon-affirmed-as-causative-agent-for-hlle-disease
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blo...ted-in-inducing-head-and-lateral-line-erosion
http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/activated-carbon-hlle-smoking-gun-found
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08997659.2011.608608#.VGvKG8kSbBY

DaveK

Seems there are many more posts addressing your skimmer question than your carbon question. I would run the skimmer 24/7. Keeping high oxygen levels being the primary reason.

As for carbon, it has always sparked debate on if it should be used or not, how often, and if it should be used passively or in a reactor. ...

I need not re-quote the entire post. I just want to say that it's one of the most informative on the subject that I have read in a long time.

This is once time I wish we still had the reputation or karma option on the forum.