Trigger tankmates

JeffJ

My 125g tank crashed in January due to a prolonged power outage. After setting it back up, I have decided to set up a FOWLR tank and would like to get a trigger or 2. I keep reading and hearing about things that *might* get along with certain triggers, but nothing real specific. What do you keep with triggers? What do you use for clean-up? My daughter wants an eel or a lionfish, but I am not enamored with either choice. Any suggestions or anectdotes would be appreciated.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Sorry about your tank crash :(

I'm not sure what can live with a trigger; but if you can, get an antennata lionfish!! They are awesome!

Triggerjay

A victim of the ice storm?

icestorm051.jpg

Jason

billyr98

well i have a 125 with a durgeon and clown trigger, a tusk, a puffer and an angel... but triggers can attack lions tentacles.. do some research

JeffJ

Yep, that ice storm. I thought the clown triggers were a bit too agressive? I would prefer a fairly peaceful tank.

Triggerjay

We got lucky. there were four hoses on my whole street that did not loose power, and mine was one of them. Everyoe else on the block was out 13 days. My power has gone off two times since the storm, but for short periods of time, and probally due to the util. company making repairs. Sorry to hear about you loosing your tank. It will take years and years for the trees to look the same around here..

Jason

JeffJ

We lost power for 7 days, but stayed at various peoples houses. I came by and checked on my tank every day, and it was surviving for the first 2 days. The water was holding it's temp pretty well. By day 3, it was staying about 40 degrees in the house and everything shriveled up and died. I had no freakin idea how many bristle worms I had until they were all floating around in the bottom of the tank and hanging out of the live rock.

Cartman89

Okay cool question you got there! I feel sorry for you what happend back in January, I live in Missouri and our city BARELY missed the storm but the city north of us got it hard...power outages for weeks. Anyways back to your question... what do you have now in your tank or are you starting over? Your daughter said she wants a lion and an eel and you want a trigger right? Well you could have both! I have a Niger trigger, goldentail moray eel, porc. puffer oh and this pesky damsel. They get along fine! They are still small besides the lion and eel. The Niger trigger is a peaceful/ shy fish and I kinda think it's boring. What kind of triggers are you looking for? Since you are wanting a lionfish I would find some triggers that our REEF SAFE.

JeffJ

I am starting over completely right now. I set the tank back up and let it cycle. I put a damsel in just so something would be swimming around and added a little new rock to seed the tank, but that's it.

iamkellogg

I am sorry you have to start over. That ice storm was something I am glad you and your family are safe.

What about a Snowflake Moray Eel? They stay smaller. I have read that eels are really great escape artists so you need a tight fitting lid.

Kelly

JeffJ

That would be a problem. I don't have a tight fitting lid. My canopy is completely open in the back. I've kind of settled on a Niger trigger anyway. I might get a puffer as well. What would you use for cleanup in such a tank? Won't they eat any snails or hermits?

mOnEEK09

I would look into less agressive triggers as well My favorites are the red tooth niger, and the BLACK trigger. Check out this website, they have more info and will let you see good pics.

Triggers

Gives you a good idea as for prices too.

Hope this helps.
Keep in mind that most all triggers are a risk, du to the nature of them, being agressive. However some are less agressive than others, and research is key. Also this helped us out TONS check this out too its a compatibility chart.
Saltwater Fish Compatibility Chart - Rate My Fish Tank

bandr1002

dude that link to the triggerfish says that a min tank size for a picasso is a 20 gallon. not sure that a 10 inch fish will fit in a 20 gallon unless it is dead. lol

findad

can you keep any combination of triggers together?? I have 2 Humu's in seperate tanks and love em, would they get along with any of thier cousins??

reefy2

My 125g tank crashed in January due to a prolonged power outage. After setting it back up, I have decided to set up a FOWLR tank and would like to get a trigger or 2. I keep reading and hearing about things that *might* get along with certain triggers, but nothing real specific. What do you keep with triggers? What do you use for clean-up? My daughter wants an eel or a lionfish, but I am not enamored with either choice. Any suggestions or anectdotes would be appreciated.

in the past, i had an undulated trigger, huma huma trigger, niger trigger, miniatus grouper and panther grouper in a tank. they were all relatively small though, and had a bit of space to spread out.
i don't know if it would've turned out well had they all grown to maturity together. i ended up selling them to a pet store when i attempted beginning a reef tank. it was a beautiful FO tank while it lasted though!