Trigger systems vs Eshopps refugiums

degibson84

bee debating lately on which sump to go with. the trigger system sumps look really good but the Eshopps are far cheaper.

Ruby?

Crystal?

Eshopps R-300?

SubRosa

If money is a big issue, the price difference between the E Shopps and the Ruby will buy about half of a very good skimmer. Ime that will make a lot more difference than a few strategically placed baffles.

theplantman

I was running into the same debate on these two fuges for a 120 system i am designing and while I do really like the trigger systems ruby, i do not think it is worth the extra money that could go towards more critical equipment like the skimmer, lighting, a kalk reactor, etc.

This is my humble opinion of course.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I have an Eshopps Sump with my 180g. First prefab sump i've ever owned. It came with the system i bought as a whole. I do like it, but I've always made my own sumps. Acyrylic tanks are expensive, but 40g breeder tanks are cheap. Acrylic sheets are cheap at Lowes/Home Depot, so you can setup baffels however you want. Aquarium silicone isnt too pricey, and when used liberally, will hold acrylic baffels in a glass tank without issues. Ive been making my own sumps out of glass tanks with acrylic baffles for years.

I made a 20g long sump for my 65. Tank cost, 35 bucks. Acrylic cost, 45 bucks, Silicone cost, 20 bucks. Total cost less than 100 and it works as well as any prefab sump. Better in fact. I baffled it the way i wanted, based on what i wanted to do as apposed to using the prefab setup and adjusting to make it work.

degibson84

I have seen multiple pictures of the R-300 one picture shows only one baffle seperating the first two chambers and the other picture show two. The main reason i am worried about ordering one is that i need the second baffle so my water level stays around 8-9 inches as the Tunze 9410 i plan on using can't exceed a depth of 9 1/1 inches. The one with only one baffle worries me that i wont be able to adjust the water height to where i need it

theplantman

I would contact eshopps and see how it is actually built, i have seen a release image with two baffles, but their website image only shows one and these were both eshoppes documents.

BLADEYAMAHA

I've seen a newly ordered Trigger Systems custom sump, they are super nice! :D Trigger System sumps are Show pieces, but function is all you need. IMO.

degibson84

I've seen a newly ordered Trigger Systems custom sump, they are super nice! :D Trigger System sumps are Show pieces, but function is all you need. IMO.

after doing some deeper research i found that the trigger runs at a depth of 10 inches which may be to high for the skimmer i ordered