Trickle filter sump?

BioMarine

I just found this trickle filter sump locally from someone and I wasn't exactly sure what it was until after i got it home, it was a great deal for all that it included. So my question's start with, is this type of sump good/efficient to use? Positives/negatives... If not, i'm not afraid to start tearing into it a little to make it a refugium as i intended for it anyway. its a lifereef trickle filter, and if necessary i can post pictures of it if it will help. Thanks for your input in advance!
Eddie

BioMarine

Goals for my tank include finish converting it into a reef tank. Also will a trickle filter allow for copepods to grow? I'm thinking no, but i haven't even seen one set up yet, so I could have a complete different idea on what this thing looks like when its set up and running.

DaveK

What many do with trickle filters is they leave the bioballs or similar media out, and run the chamber empty. Some also convert them to use filter socks as mechanical filtration.

Trickle filters are not too common on reef systems any more because they tend to create a lot of nitrates when they convert ammonia --> nitrite --> nitrate. This process also go on with the LR but at a slower rate, giving the rest of the filtration system, especially skimmers, time to deal with waste products.

BioMarine

i really appreciate your feedback, i'm definitely going to think about what i'm going to do with this trickle filter before i put it on my tank. (definitely considering converting it over into a refugium of some kind! OR maybe i'll put it up for sale and buy something a little easier. So thanks again!

Willie McDaries

the bio-balls are extremely efficient at reducing ammonia and nitrites but they are worthless at reducing nitrates as they don't have any anaerobic bacteria...they will actually collect detritus and start producing nitrates if not kept clean.....probable a good filtration system for a newly set up tank but after the tank has cycled,the balls should be removed and replaced with a fuge and/or de-nitrator