Treating R/O Water?

So I've been using for a while now the PetCo 5g saltwater and Walmart/Target R/O Top-off water. I was wondering if I need to add any trace elements to the R/O? I have been thinking about adding kalk to it, but I need to set up my ATO again to get everything running smoothly. Any help is greatly appreciated as always. thanks!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I wouldn't add anything to the TO water unless you're having some parameter issues. No need to dose "just for the fun of it".

BobBursek

the Great Lebowski!!,
Dosing Kalk in your top of water helps maintain Ca and a small amount of ALK, and does maintain to raiseing PH possible. Here is an article on it, you have to decide if you need it by testing your Ca and Alk and seeing what you tank uses and is not being maintained by your WC schedule. Full saturation is 2tsp per gallon, you could start out at 1tsp and see how it works for your needs.
What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Ok so I did some tests today a few hours after ~20% water change and it looks like my Alk is too high and my calcium and pH are a little low...I used API for Calc and KH...Salifert for pH
Calcium is ~360ppm
KH seems to be around 14 (degrees or whatever aka off the charts)
pH seems just below 8.0

My two thoughts are: 1.) my baby squamosa clam could be reaping the calcium from the tank as I have read in a previous thread
2.) the kalk paste I use to combat my aiptasia outbreak (I have wasted money on peppermints AND berghias already) may have cause some of this.

So I should be dosing calcium now eh? yikes.

BobBursek

What is your Mg level, if that is low it is hard to get and keep Ca at decent levels? What salt are you using and what SG do you maintain?

BobBursek

The Great Lebowski, or was it Lubowski?????
Do you bowl??
First get a Mg test kit or at least have your LFS test it, if low get it up, then add Ca, and get it up, Mg once up tends to stay there and drops very slowly, and takes little to maintain it once it gets there, but may take alot to get to 1350ppm+.
2nd I do not know what size tank you have but get a RO/DI unit if you are into this hobbey for the long hall, then you have control of your water quality, have it when you need/want it, and mix your own salt mix. Thefilterguys.biz is a great product and customer service.

Reef Chemistry Articles - Reef Central Online Community Archives
Start reading!!!! Many home made recipes that we all use, and much cheaper then anyting on line or at the LFS, BRS and BFS have all the ingrideints, at great prices.
http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/
Bulk Reef Supply
The Filter Guys

Thanks! It's all about The Big Lebowski and I do bowl which reminds me it has been a while since I had a white Russian lol. I will get an Mg kit as the LFS around here are terrible :$

Just did a Mg test...And it is def up there, so not a problem. Looks like we are here: high alk, low ph, low calc, high mg... i bought some b-ionic two-part and i'm thinking i will dose just the calcium part as a local reefer with similar test results and the same tank has done this with success.