took the jump

reefpod

ok I've taken the jump and just ordered myself a redsea max-s 500...
I'm now like a big child at christmas can't wait...

I've order mine from charterhouse-aquatics.com here in the uk
and also ordered a DD DC750 Chiller with it.

has anyone any tips on what i should do when it comes ( unpacking - building it or what to look out for)

i will be adding pics as i go once i receive it

kind regards
rp

SPR

When I built my 650 which is basically the same, I downloaded the instructions and read them over while I was waiting delivery which for me was around 3-4 weeks.

When you build the frame just do it very slowly and double check everything before you screw it together as a few of the pieces look very similar. I only made one mistake but if I hadn't spotted it it would have caused major rebuild later so just be careful. And get a cordless screwdriver

One of the best tips I can give you it's to watch over and over the Max S build videos on the Red Sea web site as they are invaluable as they go from start to finish

Oh and the weight. Do not under estimate how heavy these things are certainly the 650. Even with 4 it's very difficult to lift and we actually put the aquarium body on a large towel and dragged it along the floor once inside and it near on impossible to get through a door way with 4 people. If I did it again I would try and get one of those long low level trolleys on wheels (like a large skate board) but you just need to be careful of any weight on the actual glass. The towel/large cover works a treat though although we have hard floors so just slid along. But the weight!

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Reefpod, the advise from SPR is first class, I would also add that there are a number of YouTube videos that cover the installation of the Max S, whilst they are for the T 5 variant the installation of the frame and cabinet part will be near identical, check out the first video here

DaveR11

Welcome to the S-Max club - I hope you love the tank as much as I have. All the above advice is great. I had the instructions in one hand and the other hand on my computer mouse to stop/start the Red Sea videos. Yes the tank is heavy as @SPR has said and I did use one of those trolleys to get the pallet into the house and it will work a treat if you have no steps or lips on your doors.

There are plenty of build treads on here (including mine) for additional tips. Take it steady and be careful with the screws on the frame not to strip the heads off.

Enjoy!

SPR

[QUOTE="DaveR11, post: 1323880, member

There are plenty of build treads on here (including mine) for additional tips. Take it steady and be careful with the screws on the frame not to strip the heads off.

Enjoy![/QUOTE]

Yes make sure settings are correct on the screwdriver if electric. The one mistake I made on the frame was putting a part the wrong way around and I had to strip it back and the heads had stripped off

One more tip. The catches on the doors (the ones that push in and click and then push in to push the door out) are not screwed into the plastic frame until the end of the build or thereabouts. What should be a job done in seconds took me 2 hours and I still haven't got them in. The catch were the power is is fine. It's the catches were the sump is in the middle as you have to stick your head and body inside swivel around and then try and screw them into plastic. I currently have one hanging off by 1 screw and the other stuck with double sided tape. INFACT IF RED SEA KEV IS READING THIS ANY TIPS ON TYPE OF SCREW AND HOW TO GET THE CATCHES IN PLACE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Just check this bit out and see if you can screw them onto the plastic strip earlier on in the build. All will become clear when you read the instructions

IanReefer

Just throwing it out there- for the price of that chiller, stevesleds makes a light upgrade for your aquarium that costs about as much as that chiller. The electricity savings alone would pay for itself inside of a year, and save you about $40usd/mo in electricity.

I speak from experience with my S650.

SPR

Just throwing it out there- for the price of that chiller, stevesleds makes a light upgrade for your aquarium that costs about as much as that chiller. The electricity savings alone would pay for itself inside of a year, and save you about $40usd/mo in electricity.

I speak from experience with my S650.
Hi Ian

The new S650 has LED's as standard these days so need need for the upgrade which I assume is what you were referring to on the older models which had the standard lights