Too much foam

Basile

Can anyone explain to me why is my skimmer who worked perfectly 10 months ago , now is foaming so much clear skimmate that its impossible to control.

Its an SRO 3000 int. Its been innactive for 10 months since i closed the tank , but now i can't control it anymore. I'm cycling right now 1.025 gravity,

SUPERREEFOCTOPUSSRO3000INTIN-SUMPPROTEINSKIMMER.jpg

its in 6.5 " of water the recommended height. I'm a bit confused about this.
Any ideals as what could be the problem.

DaveK

Many times when you start up a new tank, there is a lot of stuff a skimmer picks up. This seems to come from various sources. I can't prove it, but I suspect some of this in anti-caking agents used in salt and from most additives people use to start tanks.

Best thing to do here is dial back the skimmer so it still foams, but concentrates it's output better. Another thing you can do is have the over flow cup drain into a large bucket. Once the skimmer processes all the water a few times, it should drop back to normal.

mr_tap_water

Hi there
Am I right in saying you started a new tank up again if so it is very common for most skimmers to react like this with new systems,
With the new chemistry of your tank The surface tension causes it to go crazy for a length of time just as when we do water changes some skimmers react like this for a short time in the meantime you could either try dialling down the air intake or slightly raise the skimmer or even taking the lead off of the collection cup either one of these should help to a degree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basile

Many times when you start up a new tank, there is a lot of stuff a skimmer picks up. This seems to come from various sources. I can't prove it, but I suspect some of this in anti-caking agents used in salt and from most additives people use to start tanks.

Best thing to do here is dial back the skimmer so it still foams, but concentrates it's output better. Another thing you can do is have the over flow cup drain into a large bucket. Once the skimmer processes all the water a few times, it should drop back to normal.

Ok thanks guys, yes and i've cleaned it very well too; took it apart and cleaned everything.

Squatch XXL

i've cleaned it very well
It could be that this is the solution.

I know that when I clean mine very good, it takes days for it to get "Dirty" again....sometimes weeks. The clean pump and pipes allow more water and air in, and I do have to open the control valve up more to let more water out to reduce the height of the foam.

I am still learning my second tank's skimmer as it only has been setup for almost 5 months. It took until last week before I decided to clean the collection cup less frequently. It still needs empty, but when it is totally clean, it does not seem to produce any skimmate until it gets that gross slime covering the inner body.

If your skimmate is too wet, you can try to raise the skimmer up (I use stacked eggcrate to get close).

You can open your control valve the full way.

You can reduce the amount of air going to the pump/venturi.

Let it get dirty'd up and see how it works in a few days.

Basile

It could be that this is the solution.

I know that when I clean mine very good, it takes days for it to get "Dirty" again....sometimes weeks. The clean pump and pipes allow more water and air in, and I do have to open the control valve up more to let more water out to reduce the height of the foam.

I am still learning my second tank's skimmer as it only has been setup for almost 5 months. It took until last week before I decided to clean the collection cup less frequently. It still needs empty, but when it is totally clean, it does not seem to produce any skimmate until it gets that gross slime covering the inner body.

If your skimmate is too wet, you can try to raise the skimmer up (I use stacked eggcrate to get close).

You can open your control valve the full way.

You can reduce the amount of air going to the pump/venturi.

Let it get dirty'd up and see how it works in a few days.

You're right i remember its seems to skim better when dirty lol. Unfortunatly i i've already raised it with egg crates and its already touching the tank base lol. but i know what you're saying. I'll wait a few weeks i've took out the cup plug so i returns into the sump without collecting. Its already opened to its max so time is key i guess. Thank for your time.

Squatch XXL

You're right i remember its seems to skim better when dirty lol. Unfortunatly i i've already raised it with egg crates and its already touching the tank base lol. but i know what you're saying. I'll wait a few weeks i've took out the cup plug so i returns into the sump without collecting. Its already opened to its max so time is key i guess. Thank for your time.
I had to come back to this thread just to comment. I keep my skimmer high in the water because I prefer a dry thick skimmate.....well of course I had to clean it today because my venturi gets caked up with dry salt where it enters the pump sometimes. I cleaned the entire unit EXCEPT the collection cup, and it really is not doing anything right now. I like to run RO water through the air-supply line every few days to keep it clean, but it still needs a quarterly (or more often) good cleanout. I got nothing going on now. If I adjust it, it will start dumping wetness right to the cup. It will take a few days, but will be working fine again by mid-week.

I just had to laugh with you about this.....part of the reason I hate this skimmer. @Paul B has a great DIY skimmer setup, and from reading about it, he never cleans it. DIY skimmer is on my list of things to do. I do plumbing/pipefitting for a living so most of the materials would be scraps from work that were getting tossed out. For now with my no-fish bioload the unit I have works great.

Good luck, and do let us know when yours starts working as you intend again. Ill report back when mine gets going again.

Kendall B

I just started a thread on this overflowing foam on skimmer issues. Check out the attached picture. This little valve comes in most air pump setups. Put in on my air intake valve and I get to control all the little bubbles to wet or dry skim. Hope it works for ya.

Attachments

• IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2