Too good to be true????

Husmut

Hi all.
Excited to be here after 10+ years from the hobby (Albeit, freshwater planted tanks), I have finally taken the plunge and started collecting gear for my first reef tank. I'm amazed at the advances in technology over this time and I must say, it is a little overwhelming! I look forward to spending many hours here digging for advice and hopefully contributing.......eventually.

My first question is:

After researching ATO systems I came across this deal.......http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JBJ-AUTO...672065?hash=item4b2636ca01:g:vWcAAOSwOudZwmFc

As the title suggests, is this too good to be true? If not, consider this a gift to you all! :)

DaveK

Here is my take on the item. First off, it's something listed on Ebay. I know a lot of people use it, and sometimes you do find bargains. I'm always a bit skeptic because you can also run into problems.

As for the product itself, doing a quick search shows mixed reviews. JBJ is usually considered to be an ok company.

Yes the price does seem too good to be true. You could pay your money and take your chances, figuring that if it doesn't work out, the cost isn't much.

Things are seldom that simple when it comes to reef systems. In this case, it's an ATO. If it fails in the on position, doesn't turn off, you risk a flood.

Husmut

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the dangers associated with these systems. My OCD wont allow me to not watch it carefully.

I was referring more to the price. It is, at least, a third of the price anywhere else for the same product. I have thrown my money at it and will update you. Hopefully it is legit?

Just wanted to see if anyone could point out if I was missing anything here but also share the prospect of an opportunity

SPR

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!

I wouldn't waste your money on that. You get what you pay for and it's a vital piece of equipment for a reef tank.

I've had one experience with standard 'mechanical' float valves including it not turning the ATO of when full causing leakage and I won't be going back to them and even the one I had which was from a smaller tank was 2-3 times the price of this item.

For what it's worth after recommendations on here, and research myself and reviews, I use the Tunze Osmolator which includes an optical sensor amongst other things, but it's about 8-9 times the price.

https://www.tunze.com/en.html?user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter036

Just remember if it fails why your are away in the 'on' position you could either flood your house or the salinity will increase if it fails completely in the off position with potentially very expensive and sad results. I have learned with a reef tank you don't want cheap you want the best you can afford because the inhabitants are both precious In terms of life, but also very expensive!

Husmut

Thank you for the welcome. I will definitely start a tank thread in the coming weeks. As I said, I've been out of the hobby for more than a decade so I'm going VERY slowly and doing lots of reading to catch up. Things have come a long way! Here is a picture of my last fw tank. As you can see, I won't be doing things by half! A7DEEC44-F75D-4C69-BE96-8E465216449F.JPG

Pat24601

Thank you for the welcome. I will definitely start a tank thread in the coming weeks. As I said, I've been out of the hobby for more than a decade so I'm going VERY slowly and doing lots of reading to catch up. Things have come a long way! Here is a picture of my last fw tank. As you can see, I won't be doing things by half! View attachment 47615

Awesome FW tank!