ToeSloth's Serenity! RSM 130D

ToeSloth

Picked up the sand tonight from the LFS since shipping would have thrown the costs over what I could get it for locally. Looking forward to working on setting everything up Saturday when the house is all back together from the carpet installation.

ToeSloth

I wonder if anyone saw this (new to me) ATO unit that BRS is advertising? http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/autoaqua-smart-ato-auto-top-off-system.html - I was thinking that the only place this would work would be possibly on the pump return and water line window but that window provides an uneven surface for the unit. It could still work possibly? Also I will throw in that you wouldn't be able to do this with the original pumps in the return as there wouldn't be enough space.

On another subject - I hadn't ordered new test kits in a while and RSM has changed things up since I bought my tank! I ordered the wrong kit to the cycle testing! The generic names of the combo kits could be a little bit better but in the end it's my fault. I did find it strange that BRS didn't have the primary combo kit listed with the other RSM kits. I got a good deal on the one I needed from Salty Supply but it won't be in until Monday.

Carpet was installed in one day not two! So I have all day to get all the things back into place and start the tank up tomorrow.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome back! I actually ordered one of those ATO units from Marine Depot last weekend when they were on sale. I had read a great review of them on ReefBuilders and was simply waiting for them to be released.

Looking forward to watching your rebuild.

ToeSloth

8361A648-58C6-456C-8D0E-FD8F29169517_zpsoi4djdy6.jpg

Spent the good part of the day getting the tank setup with the rock in and around 10 cups of salt. I will figure out the salinity tomorrow when the salt settles in. As you can tell above not much to see at this point but it's a jumping off point for sure.

Chris

ToeSloth

Crazy that a bunch of smaller snails survived in the original substrate that I left in the tank.

I will start the skimmer and light plus the day 1 cycle proper around noon when I get back home.

This cycle should be interesting with rock I had already and the previous substrate still in the tank.

I need to move the rock around and get it situated proper once I can see what I'm doing in there!

I figure I'll get the mp10's going today too if I have time and energy. Plus if I really stretch it I may get my ATO and RKL back into the fold. If not these items there's always tomorrow! ;)

ToeSloth

Got everything I planned done today! Here are a couple of pictures to show where day one took us.

8uba7yjy.jpg

Great gunk coming out on the Turbo Floater Skimmer

jytapa6a.jpg

Going to a party, have a good night everyone.

Chris

ToeSloth

Did the RSM day one and two test today. As you can see I added Aquatic Log to my tools, I hope it will help keep me on track. The tank shot is from the end of my cycle back in Dec '08

Hope everyone is having a good day! Getting the snow and ice here in NoVA.

Chris

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Stay warm, watching football and it is snowing in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Green Bay and Baltimore.

ToeSloth

Lots going on - got my lights and lens replaced, moved my LR around and ordered some more stuff cause that's what I do apparently really well. Here is a cloudy shot of the tank after I moved the LR, I will take a few more later when things clear back up. I'm not running my skimmer or a sponge at the moment as I'm trying out Dr. Tim's One and Only for the cycling (fishless). One other thing to note is one of the couplings broke on RO/DI so I had to order a replacement from BRS and it seems things have changes with that stuff now to the loc connectors which seems nice, we will see.

AF34E52F-B8CB-47E5-9B17-8EA38A2630A2_zpsoozlehw9.jpg

3300F22A-19B4-4CE6-9628-AC5AE6730687_zpsaon36tam.jpg

1D983722-DCD5-462A-ACA4-A4D0455CF06C_zpsdokzansy.jpg

Also I can look around but has anyone ever cut the plastic off let's say the water level window to make it larger... I have an idea to use a AutoAqua Smart ATO there by cutting it off going back toward the back of the tank and the top of the levels. I like the idea and would feel better with some other people thoughts on this.

Chris

Last edited:

ToeSloth

Dumb question of the day! If NO3 is so important in SW tanks why does Red Sea do a test with NH3/NH4 meaning that I can't actually get just the bad ammonia levels? I have a Seneye and it tells me my NH3 is .05 ppm in running testing I get the combined of 1.0 ppm This just seems whacked out to me. I also notice that new site I'm using doesn't have a combined measurement like my test and only has NH3 not NH4. This sure doesn't help figure stuff out especially in starting the cycle.

I do have some brown and green algae after 4 days and I turned my skimmer back on and added the half sponge back into the tank. I have purigen and CPE here now but I don't think I want to add them to the tank yet (Right?)

I will be looking to get some CUC this weekend. I have about 10 of the smaller snails that have endured this whole move and cycle somehow....

Chris

Last edited:

ToeSloth

waiting...waiting...waiting...in the mean time I got the stomach flu to keep me busy! :smack::barf:

BTW if anyone wanted to know that didn't already a Colbalt 150W Neo-Therm heater fits nicely in the back and if you face it towards the pump chamber and slide it to the back you can see the readout perfectly! There is a picture above although it's a little fuzzy.

Spending my sick time looking at DIY Pod Condo/houses that may look a little better than the PVC one I had before.

ajbang

nice to see your tank come along wisely - just started a tank myself and look forward to sharing our experience

ToeSloth

This is working well even through the window - I may add some acrylic to fill in the window to do away with the air gap but it works!
8B150CC6-8DF0-436B-8AC9-74B7BB84497F_zpsiut4jzt8.jpg

Here are a couple of other tank shots as well

AB7D4D27-EDF9-4BB7-87F1-CA0AF109ABFA_zpsu7nlvj1z.jpg

00169251-D477-4CF3-853C-9B8CEAE22FBE_zpsvdpr8drx.jpg

3C8D6AB0-5D49-4774-84A9-178C148EC892_zpswhurv3vm.jpg

ToeSloth

Looking good mate :) Nice setup! What are you going to be using the pipe for?

The pipe was drilled and has floss lightly stuffed in it. I found this idea in copepod hotel/condo thread a few years back. I will seed it with pods when I add my CUC. It will then hopefully populate them well.

I really wanted to have a glass one like Glass Munky makes and a couple others made/have and put Chaeto in it to populate pods. So far I haven't found someone that will make me one or find something like it out and about.

Doing a water change this morning and getting some CUC.

Chris

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thought as much :) Always good seeing an addition of this type of thing to keep the little guys going and safe :)
You could try making it out of acrylic as it would also help stop the chaeto from growing outside it and keep it a little more contained and secure
Looking forward to seeing what sort of cuc you get :)