To buy or not to buy..

I have the oppurtunity to buy a used RSM 250 (I am told it is 2 years old) without the skimmer for $650. It needs a little TLC to clean it up and remove the calcium deposits but other whys seems in good shape. My question is, is the tank (at this point in time) worth 650? After purchasing a skimmer for ~$200 and a media rack for another $100 Ill be at about $1000. Then new bulbs and media and im at $1200. Or for the same price i can get a brand new IM Fusion 40 with AI hydra 52, tunze 9004, MP10wes and a neotherm for 1350 shipped from marine depot. I know i want to get something else but i need the opinions of my fellow reefers on which option would be better

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
just some feedback... my thoughts...

a new RSM 250 (66 gallon) is around $2,200 with tax - Red Sea Max tanks resale do hold their value better than most tanks, I sold my 2 year old used RSM 130D for 1/2 price in one day. So... $650 is a very fair price imo - as imo - the RSM tanks are a very beautiful design. I have seen many sell used for 1/2 price

You may can pick up a used skimmer in the RSM club too - it's a closed tank, a nice option (no jumping fish) and a media rack is not a must...

the other tank sounds nice too... would it need a sump, pump & skimmer too? $$$

lots great choices :) see what others think...

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
IMO The RSM 250 is the better choice for size.
I would NOT want to sink money in a smaller system.
If you have room for it, I think you will be happier with it.

oakleyx

I'm selling my Red sea max 250 with Steve's LEDs for $1000 CDN with all parts. Do you guys think that is a fair price?

Thanks
Dan

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
what cdn? is that a controller? is your chiller going with it? anything else you want to tout? :)

could be a fantastic deal !

the fact the leds are installed 100% & working is $$$, with the 99% complete units, I still see several hours of work

Pat24601

I love my Red Sea, so I'd defintely reccomend it. I also think buying used can be a great way to get in the hobby more cheaply. That said, I'm not sure about the price. Personally I'd poke around craigslist and see if you think it's fair. It strikes me as odd it doesn't have a skimmer with it. Are you sure you are pricing that right?

I know people have recommended the deltec mc500 skimmer as a substitute for the RSM 250 and marine depot has that for $550!

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idproduct=DD1513&gclid=CKnt7-_gxMQCFdgLgQod-D8Ang

So, bottom line, I think Red Sea is a good tank, but I'd poke around and see if the price is fair. I honestly don't know.

Last edited:

Pat24601

I'm selling my Red sea max 250 with Steve's LEDs for $1000 CDN with all parts. Do you guys think that is a fair price?

Thanks
Dan

Dang, I just about think I'd buy your tank just for the hood with Steves LEDs at that price. I barely kid. In fact, maybe we should talk... ;)

My question is, is the RSM 250 obsolete with the current tech out there? even compared to the upgrades found in the c250? I want the tank to last me a while as i currently have a RSM 130 and i want something more effiecient and powerful (Stronger lights, better filteration etc..) I called red sea and they quoted me about $230ish to purchase the new MSK900 skimmer found in the C250 to put in the used 250 im looking at. The other thing im considering is getting the new IM sr-60. which after lights will be more than a new c250 but idk. Either way its quite an investment, i just want to make sure im making an investment on something thats going to last and perform for a long time without having to replace it.

I just messaged him to see, on a side note do you know if a tunze 9004 can fit in the back chambers if i cant get a skimmer from kev? I wont go without a skimmer lol

Pat24601

My question is, is the RSM 250 obsolete with the current tech out there? even compared to the upgrades found in the c250? I want the tank to last me a while as i currently have a RSM 130 and i want something more effiecient and powerful (Stronger lights, better filteration etc..) I called red sea and they quoted me about $230ish to purchase the new MSK900 skimmer found in the C250 to put in the used 250 im looking at. The other thing im considering is getting the new IM sr-60. which after lights will be more than a new c250 but idk. Either way its quite an investment, i just want to make sure im making an investment on something thats going to last and perform for a long time without having to replace it.

I wouldn't say its obsolete at all. A lot of people are running great tanks with it and they probably plan to keep their tanks running with it for the next 10 years or so. :) In fact, probably most of the RSM 250 folks on this forum are running the older model with great results. So, obsolete would be an awful strong term. It's still a great tank--even if they did make some modest improvements with the C-250. Really, the changes from the C-250 from the prior model aren't fundamental changes or anything. Just some modest improvements here and there (in my opinion...I run the C-250).

I can't speak to the other alternatives you are considering. I don't know anything about them. So, I can't speak to if they are "better". But, I love the Red Sea.

My question was more about price. That missing skimmer bothers me and I think you should make sure you know what it really takes to replace the skimmer before you buy. Also, just be sure nothing else is missing that would come back to cost you money.

Last edited:

Pat24601

The other thing to throw out in case it isn't obvious is make sure the glass doesn't have unacceptable scratches. As I understand it, that's really the only thing you can't really fix with a tank...not that I'm an expert.

Danreef

I have the oppurtunity to buy a used RSM 250 (I am told it is 2 years old) without the skimmer for $650. It needs a little TLC to clean it up and remove the calcium deposits but other whys seems in good shape. My question is, is the tank (at this point in time) worth 650? After purchasing a skimmer for ~$200 and a media rack for another $100 Ill be at about $1000. Then new bulbs and media and im at $1200. Or for the same price i can get a brand new IM Fusion 40 with AI hydra 52, tunze 9004, MP10wes and a neotherm for 1350 shipped from marine depot. I know i want to get something else but i need the opinions of my fellow reefers on which option would be better

price is high. I got my RSM 250 at $1300 new im March 2014, but in 2 colors (tank black stand white) if I wanted all one color was $1600. Mine was a leftover. So we are talking of $1600 brand new with all the equipment. If you are going to finish nearby that price with a used one I am not sure if it is a deal.

Of course, you can't find now a new RSM250. unless there is one leftover in some place. The new RSM C250 will cost you $2000 + as explained before