TMC Ozone generator the real "quality" you are buying !!!

Marty.h

I though I would let people know just how bad the TMC ozone units are and the fact I'm on number 3 in less then a year !!!

The last unit I opened up and this was my findings

20160410_142631-1_zpseljarksp.jpg

20160410_142642_zpsnvwvm3np.jpg

20160410_142638-1_zpsywjy0wqf.jpg

20160410_142631_zps88ahb5yj.jpg

20160410_142638_zpsqjivdneo.jpg

As you can see the quality of the soldering is absolutely shocking they are not prepared to replace it as I opened the unit and have said there was moisture present as the screws where rusty see picture of its location it's in my side cabinet. No moisture there !!! I can clearly see why they don't want people to open them up !!

20160514_151131_zpso1tduw2i.jpg

I have requested the unit to be returned as I own the unit and it remains my property and I will have it independently inspected and on those findings I will look to take the matter further.

This is a typical example of the big boys telling the little people to go away thinking you will just roll over its not the cost I'm worried about its the principal of the fact I'm on unit number 3 in less then a year !!!

If that was a high voltage unit with joints like that it's a fire risk waiting to happen.

So if yours goes wrong or you thinking of buying one just think what are you actually buying !!!

Marty.h

It's disgusting I have posted this on every forum I'm on I'm just waiting to receive the item back which is legally mine.

They have rejected a warranty claim so the product still remains my property I will then put it into the hands of trading standards as there is no way that product meets UK legislation.

I will keep everyone updated

DaveK

In looking at you picts, I'd say the solider joints are not the greatest, but rather typical of what I'd expect on a "made in china" kind of product. I don't see any obvious overheating or scorch marks on the board.

What wasn't working on the ozonizer? Was it just completely dead, or just not producing ozone?

The big question for you is where do you go from here? Even if the manufacturer give you a full refund, which is unlikely, you still need to figure out what your going to do.

I recommend you consider doing the following.

Write off the product as a total loss, and don't worry too much about taking any sort of further legal action. I know you feel wronged, but trying to go after them will consume more of your time and money, and especially you emotions, than the product is worth. It's about $270 new, which is a noticeable amount of money, but hardly catastrophic.

Next figure out if you really need ozone. Over many years I have used ozone in different times in several ways. I feel that ozone is only worth using when you need to solve a very specific problem, such as bacteria blooms. Most systems don't need it. I suggest that you run your system with out it, and see if you have any problems that ozone will solve. If you find you have such problems, then consider getting another ozonizer. By the way, there are some downsides to using ozone also. It's quite possible that your tank will actually run better without ozone.

As a note - Ozone seems to go in and out of style in SW reef systems. Over the years I have seen ozone come into style about 3 times. Right now, I'd say it's generally out of style.

If you do go with ozone, I recommend you mount the unit and it's related components far away from your tank. In your picts, it looks like you have the unit mounted in your tank stand. This is usually not the best place, because the air in that area tends to be damp. Ozone production works best with dry air. I'd mount the air pump, and ozonizer far away from the tank. and run ozone save tubing to you r tank.

Good luck.

Marty.h

Thanks for the reply the ozone is mounted in a side cabinet with an air dryer prior to the unit.

I'm waiting for the unit to be returned and go from there.

The fault was the unit went off and would not come back on its the same issue I had with previous units. I run surge protectors so surge is not an issue.