Tips on feeding seaweed to Yellow Tang/Flame angel

Lee

I've been trying to feed my fish seaweed (the sushi wrap stuff). I clip it to the side of the tank, and the fish completely ignore it. Then within 24 hours, the seaweed shreds into little bits and dirties up my tank fast.

Does anyone have any tips on how to teach your fish to eat this stuff? My Yellow tang ignores the stuff, and the package has a picture of a yellow tang on it. :confused:

framerguy

Get a piece of LR rubble, or a piece of coral skeleton and rubberband the greens to it. Use several rubberbands. They will have to pick at it in a more natural way to get it off and it won't tear into large chunks and float around.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The Flame I'm not surprised he won't eat the seaweed since they normally graze on the micro-algae that grows naturally on your LR not macro-algae but the Yellow Tang I'm surprised, is he still a juvenile ? Maybe you could mix the seaweed with other foods or you could give them Emerald Entree which is a food specifically for omnivores and Dwarf angels readily take this food.

prow

the garlic is a good idea to stimulate there hunger:)

it may just take some time. i have a tang that was scared to death of my clipped seaweed for better than a week. he would not even go on that side of the tank. after watching, of all things, my shrimp munching on it, the tang got the nerve up and tried it. now he goes straight for it when i put some in.

SATELLITE

my yellow tang would not touch it either for the longest time until one of my other fish started to poke at it, now the tang goes nuts on it..

Witfull

with 3 tangs, a rabbitfish and a emperator angel,,,a full sheet lasts maybe 10 minutes in my tank.

take some garlic juice and a small amount of water and put it on a dinner plate. lay the nori over it and let it adsorb the liquid. fold gently 3 times and clip it and feed.

JWarren

I add mine to my blender mix and the tang chows in down that way. However, I do add garlic to my mix as well.

Witfull

lookie here~

big-boys-3.jpg

big-boys-2.jpg

big-boys-5.jpg

Last edited:

Lee

a couple drops of garlic extract seems to have gotten the Yellow Tang's attention. The Flame Angel still ignores it. I'm not having a ton of luck getting him to eat stuff.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
a couple drops of garlic extract seems to have gotten the Yellow Tang's attention. The Flame Angel still ignores it. I'm not having a ton of luck getting him to eat stuff.

Dwarf angels take time to adjust to prepared foods so as long as you have plenty of mature LR for him to graze on he'll be fine. If your LFS carries it I would definitely give Emerald Entree a try, it's a food specifically for these fish.

Lee

Dwarf angels take time to adjust to prepared foods so as long as you have plenty of mature LR for him to graze on he'll be fine. If your LFS carries it I would definitely give Emerald Entree a try, it's a food specifically for these fish.

Picked up some Emerald Entree the other day... The fish seem to love it! Thanks for the great tip! No gel binding is a plus too!

Tristar

We've been having the same trouble. We just bought a full grown yellow tang a week ago. He ate a few pieces of missis shrimp when we got him home but now will not eat anything. We've tried clipping seaweed to things and also putting garlic extract on it but with no luck. We have a 75 gallon tank and all water indications are normal. We're afraid he'll die if he doesn't eat something.

lcstorc

Sometimes it takes a while for them to adjust to new surroundings. Keep trying to feed various things and usually they will come around.
Hate to tell you but it can't be a full grown tang. Full grown is pretty darn big. I have seen them at better than 6 inches and even those weren't full grown.

Tristar

How long can they go without eating? Our other fish are doing great although we don't have any yet that are true grazers.