Timer Mod...

slakker

Is there anyone with a Timer Mod? The granularity of the analogue timer is not that great, and I'm also thinking that it may fail over time so may need replacing...

On a positive note, I got my Tunze Osmolator installed and working! Woo Hoo!!!

BigJay

I agree on the AC jr. I was trying to think of a way to build a 26 hour timer to control moon function. But the AC jr's are selling for like $240 with the DC-8. With all the extras it has its just easier and cheap enough to go that route.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
slakker - I can't remember - are you still using the RSM hood? If so you might be able to get the digital timer that will be standard on the new 34g 130D RSM model, if and when they release it.

slakker

Yep, I'm still using the stock hood... will the digital timer be field replaceable or do you think I'll have to do a whole hood changeout.

I use the AC3 for my main DT and love it, but the stock hood only has 1 plug for all the actinic, PC and moonlights, so not sure how best to put a AC junior on it.

For my AC3, I control the moon, the sctinics and the HQIs all separately.

slakker

ahh sorry didn't realize when I gave my input you were using a RSM.

No worries... A Junior is still better than the stock analogue timer for my liking, but too much to pay unless I setup a calc reactor and/or other stuff to it...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
slakker - I'm only guessing that the digital timer could just be a replacement for the current analog timer, and that no new hood would be needed to be purchased. The light control will probably be the same - one circuit for the T5s and one for the moonlights. I don't think there have been any structural changes to the hood or tank in the 130D model (guessing again). The best place to ask would be in the "Ask Red Sea" thread in this RSM forum section. steveh of Red Sea drops in here when he gets a chance.

Arreola

Reefmack - Don't know if I miss understood the information with the distrubuitor of Red Sea here in Mexico. But I heard thet all the improvements can be purchased for the "old" RSM.

Also I heard a comment on HQI upgrade on the "new" RSM.

Again, I do not know if any of this is true.

Arreola.

mrfishy

hi folk
just had a reply from red sea in uk and they are sticking with the original timer for the new 130d for now
cheers
mrfishy

mrfishy

this is the reply from stevep from red sea
lots of rsm owners in the uk are hoping to get the new surface skimmer soon but this explains the situation on the timer
hope this helps
cheers
drew

"We're still waiting for delivery date of surface skimmer. With regards to the electronic timer, we in the end elected to stick with the German Grasslin analogue timer for both new models. It has given excellent performance and was far easier to operate than the electronic one. We will continue to conduct further reliability testing on the electronic version, but until we are sure it's "bullet-proof" we will retain the trusted Grasslin version."

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
mrfishy - At least they're trying to do it right the first time. Without the digital timer and new surface skimmer I think the only difference in a 130D at this point in time would be the new skimmer cup? Are you getting the info from steveh on the ReefsUK forum? steveh also has been in here, but we haven't seen much of him lately.

slakker

Skimmer Cup? What's new with it? I just did the 1/4 hole for the air intake mod to it and it seems to work pretty good. I also observed that keeping the bubble chamber clean helps... the part under the cup...

mrfishy

reefmack
yes spot on i am sure he will update on here soon
hope when they are happy with the digital unit we will be offered an upgrade

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
slakker - Sorry for getting off topic. The skimmer body on the 130D may be the same (?), but the cup is different - I think it's adjustable also.

Max130D.jpg

steveh

Ok, so it seems the rest of this week will see me spending time TRYING to keep up with you lot! Regarding the differences between 130 & 130D here's a few pointers:
There are over a dozen differences, although many of these were actually incorporated in later versions of the existing 130 anyway (things like improved media bags, back cooling fan, quieter fans). here are some other changes:
1. Surface skimmer inlet- this is upgradable and relly helps the water flow. It also pulls material off the surface of the water and works really well. If anyone wants to see an independant review of it, send me a PM enclosing your email address. Should be avail in USA/UK in the next few weeks
2. Adjustable protein skimmer neck: Unfortunately this is not upgradable due to the repositioning of the skimmer. We really did try to make it so older Max's could use it but it simply wasn't possible. This is a really cool system which allows the neck of the skimmer to be raised and lowered depending on protein levels. The result is great control of foam production.
3. Deeper top trim- allows great evaporation without the water level showing
4. Cable exits back of tank, not from the side
5. Increased lighting: The new lamps have increased PAR. Anyone changing their lamps will have new improved versions anyway. We strongly suggest lamps ae changed every 6-9 months.
6. Hood opening- the hood now opens fully and locks in to place. Not upgradable
7. New cabinet design- mainly aesthetic changes
8. Water level viewer. A small window in the left hand side of the filter allows you to see the level in the filter compartment.
9. Water cooling fan included as standard (later versions of Max may have had this item anyway. If not is is a retro-fit item. Please note it deals with salty, humid air and will perish over time. It's inexpensive to replace and can cool the temp by 2-4 degrees.
There's a few other bits and pieces, and if anyone wants a tech sheet they can email Red Sea USA and request one. I hope this helps a little. Steve