Thinking on getting another tank

Haaileybop

So I have read here many times... People wanting another tank or a bigger tank or both. Well I guess I fall into the later category. So before I start spending money I figure I would ask some questions here! I currently have a 35 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. It has been running for 4 months and I do 15% water changes every week.

That said I am thinking on getting another tank. I am looking at getting 180 gallon tank that someone is looking to get rid of because they are moving and they are looking to sell it for $300. Now I have been doing a lot of reading because I know the larger tank is way more maintenance. Most of the tread I have seen, people live in houses... Not NYC apartments. That being said, I have several questions.

Does anyone have experience setting up larger tanks in a smaller space? Anyone have some good links that I can read about setting up a tank with plumbing and automation, also any comments on maintenance? Right now I just make the RO/DI water in 5gallon buckets. I know that is defiantly not practical for me doing water changes larger than 20 or so gallons.

Any comments or advise I would love to hear.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
To start, if you're in an apartment I'd be concerned with the weight of a 180g tank......that could lead to some interesting conversation with your landlord.
Ever think about a smaller, 4ft tank?

Haaileybop

Well the particular building is an old printing press factory. So the floors where intended to hold those massive presses. The floor is reinforced for that purpose.

TylerHaworth

Im completely unaware of what type of building you live in, but would you even be able to get a 6x2ft tank into your apartment building? Also - the best portable way to make up large amounts of saltwater in a relatively small space is to just buy a rubbermaid brute trash can.

Haaileybop

Yeah I won't have any issues getting into my apartment. Do you just fill the bins and then pump it in when its all ready?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Go for it! Ya larger tanks r more expense up front but pretty easy to maintain. I have a 220 with 55 sump a 150 with 55 n dual 60s with 55 sump. Beats the heck out of me maintaining my first 20 high n 55 etc. Craigslist rocks. My latest tank is the office build. The 150 with 55 sump( 4 chamber) came with 4 t5 light set all rock n sand with food chemicals powerheads etc. With 6 big ol fish. Naso, hippo, purple bariene and maroon clown. All for 700$ in a oceanic tank n stand. I sold my buddy the hippo for $100 (8" long) lots of deals out there. Currently I'm just taking corals out of my dt to fill.

Go get the big tank my friend!

Matt's DROIDX using Forum Runner since idiots hacked thru tapatalk.

dmatt88

Ps I've moved 6 tanks in the last two and a half years. No losses to date. Follow a defined plan u will b a OK. Pm me If u want to know how I move em. Matt

Funlad3

If you want the tank, get it. It really isn't any harder, it's just a different type of work. Instead of two or four small water changes per month, for a larger tank, it's more like one medium water change per month.

If you were to get the tank, we'd help you get through setting it up, wouldn't we? :)

dmatt88

Um...........

I'm gunna go back n rephrase. Moving a big tank is alot of work. It's heavy n there's alot involved. However If Ben's in. Sure.

Haaileybop

If you want the tank, get it. It really isn't any harder, it's just a different type of work. Instead of two or four small water changes per month, for a larger tank, it's more like one medium water change per month.

If you were to get the tank, we'd help you get through setting it up, wouldn't we? :)

Thanks for the encouragement I was defiantly intimidated by the project, but excited at the same time. Is there anywhere I can read about setting up the plumbing? I want to make sure I am all organized for the mixing of saltwater for easy water changes, the auto-off setup, and the sump and fuge. I have a friend that is a contractor that is going to make a stand and re-enforce anything in the floor that may be needed.

Um...........

I'm gunna go back n rephrase. Moving a big tank is alot of work. It's heavy n there's alot involved. However If Ben's in. Sure.

Well I dont plan on moving anything. We are currently renting from my uncle, since we have a good deal we plan on living here till he kicks us out :p At this point of time I am planning on keeping the hex tank. I really like it.

The more help the merrier!

Hopefully I will find out tonight if I can get the tank. Its crazy how cheaply people are willing to part with things when they are moving or just decided they want cash fast. I have already gotten some really expensive corals that way. On that note, this will probably be a slow build since I dont want to fork out all the money up front... well my fiance doesnt want me too. He is hoping that his dream car will magically appear, or something to that effect. I say I will stick to my motorcycle and fish! He has already cleaned out half of his walk in closet to store aquarium stuff, so I think he is beginning to see the light.

dmatt88

Nice. What u ride?

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
There are a lot of builds on here with 100+ gallon set ups including plenty of pictures. I would suggest to just start reading those. That's how I did it, find out what works, and what doesn't for people. This is going to be fun!

Haaileybop

Matt I have a Harley blackline. I love it!

JJ I have started the mass thread reading. Its definitely helpful especially the photos.