Thinking about getting back into it with a Biocube 16!

Hello everyone! It's been a while but I am really thinking about getting back into saltwater tanks. My first tank was the Red Sea Max 65 gal. It was too big so I sold it and downsized to the 35 gal. Had fun with that for a few years, but then didn't have the time (had kids and promotion at work
lol.gif
) and sold that as well. Now 6 years later, I am really thinking about getting the 16 gal Biocube...my kids will love it!

Couple of questions; I am mainly looking at having 4 to 5 small fish, a lot of inverts (shrimps, crabs, starfish, etc...) and eventually corals.

1) is the Biocube 16 a good All In One tank, or will I spend tons of money modifying it to function correctly?

2) is it easier to maintain a smaller tank? I seemed to have trouble with the RSM 65, and did a little better with the 35, but it wasn't perfect.

3) I read the fans are loud. Can someone who owns the Biocube 16 explain to me how loud?

Last edited:

DaveK

A 16 gal tank is very small. This is ok, provided you realize it's limitations. You would be limited to 1 small or 2 very small fish. 4 or 5 fish would be out of the question.

I recommend that you first figure out what you want to keep, and then use that to determine what your tank size should be and what other equipment is needed.

I think it's much more difficult to maintain a small tank. There is a lot less margin for error, and because it's a small tank it doesn't justify spending a lot on additional equipment to make the job easier.

As far as noise goes, it's very subjective. What I might not mind, someone else might consider it like a jet taking off.

So small tank is harder than a large tank! I did not know this, but your reasoning makes sense....

I just don't want the expense of a big tank. I think I would be happy with 20 gallon tank.

Anyone suggest a good 20 gal AIO, or should I consider putting pieces together and building one? What would be a better option?

DaveK

Ask yourself if your going to be content with the one or two small fish you can support in a 20 gal tank. Is that really going to hold your interest long term. If not, you might be better off with something else.

As for all in one verses getting the components, there is no hard fast answer, because it comes down to what you want out of the tank. An AIO gives you something that you can just plug in and go. Building from scratch lets you use the components you want and put the money into areas that you want to.

Depending on you level of DIY skills and the gear you select, typically an AIO will cost less initially. Long term this may be different.