The refugium/ mangrove/ seagrass tank has arrived!

mbdave

5-2011020-1.jpg

Full tank.

5-2011029.jpg

Here is the heliofungia.

5-2011024.jpg

New gonipora just got it this week.

5-2011025.jpg

RPE'ers

5-2011026.jpg

Palythoa Grandis

mbdave

Wow long time since an update:) Sorry all have had things going on that take my time. Ok lets start with the shoal grass, it is now starting to multiply and this pic is of my pride and joy growth!
5-2011085.jpg

I can't seem to remember the proper term for the growth sprout, "sorry" but it made me happier than my first sps growth.
The Turtle grass also has started to grow, it first lost a good bunch of leaves but never just gave up. Here is a pic of the nice new rounded leaves on one of them I believe I have 4 total right now.
5-2011093.jpg

The others also have the new growth in fact probably this week I will trim the tops to encourage some new growth I hope.
These two pic's are teasers, I saw heliofungias while diving "and living" in the Philippines and always loved the way they looked in the seagrass sssssoooooooooooo,
5-2011092.jpg

5-2011095.jpg

The heliofungias I saw those did'nt have pesky clowns taking over :)
As for nutrients and so forth, I used actually 3 gallons of the carib and I keep a close eye on magnesium. If a leaf falls to the bottom "it stays" hopefully to return some nutrients if it ends up on the overflow I put it in the mangrove bucket where the trees are sprouting now. My growth I'm sure is slow compared to others but is somewhat steady and hopefully will see some expansion soon. Speaking of the mangroves I have no pic at this time but will take one tomorrow during the day to show my very simple set up. I manipulating them for the long roots which to me is as cool as cool can get in marine tanks.
Here is some of the shoal grass along the left side of the tank.
5-2011094.jpg

I will make every effort I can to keep this somewhat updated thanks for viewing my post.

:nekid::yup::turntable:dryer:

mbdave

This is my bucket of mangroves. This is the original bucket it started with 2 mangroves tied to PVC pipe stuck down in a shallow substrate, "I got the idea from a Calfo article". It is full of SW, and the sand is dirty, mucky, and very used, from an old tank.
5-2011096.jpg

I added the 3 more to this bucket just last night. Here is the root growth on the 2 originals sorry for the poor picture.
5-2011098.jpg

5-2011097.jpg

I started another bucket of planted mangroves due to no real other option:) Reefcleaners sent me a load which was nice of them, "great place to shop".

5-2011101.jpg

I have them in pure FW might slowly make it brakish. I hope to root them and probably give them out local or whatever, but it is fun just to see if they grow.

mbdave

So today I pulled some rock which shoulds not be in there anyway, and hopefully defeated the evil striped prawn I knew I should not have put in there. These were the rocks he coul dig under he rest is sand and rocks cut flat on the bottom no void under them.
I got a frag of purple gonipora when it opens I will send a pic the color is great but still not open all the way. I hope it's fine I'm getting another probably wednesday:)
I also am working on some encrusting monti when in Guam I saw lots of encrusting stuff right at the reef line where the grass stops see if I can mimik it some it was real cool but usually brown so I will cheat with at least some color.
Some of the grass seems to be browning a little I have held off on putting a 65k which would help I'm sure because of the coral, might have to break down and take the eye pain from a 65k.

Anyone with grass and a 65k what do you think?
Dave

mbdave

Update,
I got some new stuff and will picture it tonight and try to get it on the thread. Today is a very busy doctor day so might be difficult to do, But I will endeavor to persevere.My grass has decided to slow growth and show some death.....hrmmm I will break down and install the 65k ugly and wait and see. there will be benefits to it like the sps will take off but face it, "UGLY".
So pic's, pic's, pic's. I will make it happen!
Dave

mbdave

:barf: Well the 65k is installed, it is not burnt in at all so it is just yellow. In time it will get a little better, but when it is next to a tank with a megachrome 22k it will never look good. I will get my camera tonight (teary eyed) and take some pic's of the new stuff. So if not late tonight tomorrow morning there should be a few new pic's of the coral and my new fish (the ones that come out).
Oh new fish I got a small hand picked by me copperband whom is anxiously waiting the new mangrove seagrass tank, 2 tiny rainiford gobies, another possum wrasse about 3/4", and a suwalisi basslet a fish I have desired to have for sometime, "this or a swissgaurd either would have been fine they are very similar, "He has been hiding I will give him a day or so he will be out more" I see him a couple times a day.
Chow,
Dave

mbdave

Lets get some pics up! these are from both tanks.

5-2011104.jpg

Not to be modest but in my 20 years of this hobby this is one of the most beautiful corals I have owed it is amazing!!

5-2011110.jpg

This is one of my goniporas I really like these frags in fact when the powers that be tell me not to work I might sell these they are cool, I like the mount, and they are reasonable. What do you guys think?

5-2011109.jpg

Again great frag IMHO B. welsii.

5-2011111.jpg

I love these frags nice purple goni.

5-2011114.jpg

Echiopora I like this one quite a bit this pic did it some justice.

5-2011115.jpg

Pink table but this one came from Mr. Lights Sanjay Joshi.

5-2011116.jpg

This frag came from the place I got the others and I have had it for awhile, I really like it's growth pattern so it has hung around.
I thought I got a pic of my A, Hillae frag but did not see it in the download??:look: It is a beauty also will try and take some more tomorrow.

Chow,
Dave

mbdave

Thanks guys,
Yes that first one is really amazing I saw it and would have begged :) But $$ talk better than begging. When I go back down I will look for another with that amazing color.
I got to get the A. hillae pic up it's pretty cool. Stretch what do you think of the blasomussa?
Dave

Stretch

Has been struck by the ban stick
Dave, I had to look one up online to actually know what it was lol. If you posted a picture of 1 I guess I missed it. I actually think the are very cool looking.

I keep looking at all of the tank threads and seeing all of these corals that are new to me and my ," to get " list , keeps getting longer and longer.

Stretch

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ok I looked back through the recent pics you posted and found it. The red B welsii lol. Just saw welsii and didn't think what the "B" might be.

Very cool indeed.