The refugium/ mangrove/ seagrass tank has arrived!

mbdave

Ok I am officially overwhelmed those few that have followed my threads;
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/indepth-topics-disscussion/68296-my-new-experimental-tank.html
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...-take-oath-i-will-buy-only-farmed-clowns.html
These will be delayed for now so I can work my refugium for this tank;
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/64877-new-tank-dave.html
I'm posting it here because it concentrates on grass and mangroves.
So let the questions begin!!
Any dedicated grass people use Carib Sea Refugium Mineral Mud? I have two gallons of it I have had for sometime I plan on using it in the refugium with the seagrass, what do you think? Also has everyone that has used the mud mixed it with fine sand?
I have found two places that have marine grass;
<head> <title>Macro Algae : Your Source For Quality Marine Plants and Macroalgae They are out right now..
ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Plants/Macroalgae John has some.
Anyone know of other grass salesman, "Ah Marine grass not any other grass;)"
I have a 150 HQI light that I plan on putting over the tank and I was wondering what bulb some used?
Any info will help greatly I have hit allot of websites but want more true experienced peoples advice.
Thanks,
Dave

catran

I have a Hamilton 250w now but changing it (on the advice of other RSers) to 150w Phoenix for me when I build my hanger.... I just set up my CPR Aqua Fuge PS 2 and I'm very interested in mud so I'm following along!!

mbdave

It's more of a tank but hope the sea grass will keep the nutrients down. Not sure if I will put fish or not just more interested in growing grass and mangrove.

mbdave

Great thread I will try and run through it tonight. Yes it will be a tank on a stand, I bought an 18X18X18 Mr aqua and a matching stand for my reef tank. Under this cabinet the chiller and the ballasts will go, "also got a 150 HQI for it" I will build limited rock structure and 4-5" of mud and sand.
I do have some worries like will the substrate mud furnish enough nutriets as I run beads and my phosphate and nitrate are "last time I checked" undetectable with Salifert? Have more just can't think of them right now:)

mbdave

The tank has arrived and yesterday :yup: I coated the stand bottom with fiberglass resin, clear coated the outside, and arranged the chiller and ballast in said stand.:D I have posted pictures of the tank sitting on the stand just to see what it looks like and now it will go back off for drilling. As I sit here and type I am contemplating drilling extra holes and installing a closed loop,:ponder2: "what do you guys think"? I might install the loop to keep pumps out of the tank and help with the flow happy grasses. After the holes and back painting and such I am going to build the rock "bank" for the shoreline look and hopefully the mangroves will grow and it will look cool :cool:

:happywalk So it's just cruising right along :)

refugium002.jpg
Not looking real great yet, but hopefully as my vision unfolds it will be very cool!!

refugium004.jpg
This is the chiller and ballast under the stand the sump is under the other stand where the reef sits.

refugium003.jpg
This is from the top you can see the chiller, ballast, power strips, and much wire.

mbdave

Well I was ill a day and everything was delayed. I'm much better today and I have the holes drilled and just sprayed the first coat of paint on the back. I decided not to go with the closed loop after seeing Julian Sprungs refugium; YouTube - Julian Sprung's Refugium coral tank I became very jealous and noticed no supplemental flow? At least I did not see any, so I am going low flow "whats good for the big JS is good for me" Really check out the video his refugium looks better than alot of tanks :) Well I should get it plumbed to day and if it is not late I will take some pic's and post them.

mbdave

Well sorry I did not get plumbed, I took my skimmer out to do some sump work and wow! The calcium was thick. I had to go buy a boat load of vinagar and soak it. I'm actually surprised on how well it worked in such a bad maintained condition. This is unlike me to let things go I also cleaned my reator pump for the carbon and the hoses to and from it. When I re-plumbed my chiller I also saw that in the near future I will have to soak the evaporator on it due to heavy scale that is probably bringing its efficiency way down. Can't let the maintenance go :(

mbdave

Rolling right along I now have some water in the refugium, also the rock I had some nice big Fiji branch that was in another tank I had and it just looked right so it is in there. I have 4" of substrate 3 of mud and 1 or so of sand. Once the water clears I will cut it into the main tank an see how it goes hopefully the pump can support all systems and there is enough flow. I get the ballast for the light tomorrow and have to figure out how my light hanger is going to work for both lights and keep the wife happy.

refugium009.jpg

This is the mud substrate.

refugium010.jpg

Another mud.

refugium012.jpg

The tank with rock and water you can see the layers of substrate mud to sand.

On another note one of the jars of mud had some interesting stuff in it, piece of a plastic bag, pebbles, found it odd.

Enjoy,
Dave

mbdave

Well got a shipment of astreas, emerald crabs, cerith snails, blue legs, red feather dusters, and 3 Black and white damsels, (Blue Axil, Chromis) to be exact. The CUC guys are spread about the three tanks. The damsels are amazing I don't see them allot and was glad to get them. I will post pic's later after they settle in.

mbdave

Okay let’s have some pictures!

refugium022.jpg

There is one of the white tail damsels I really wanted to get a better profile of them but they refuse to participate. Also the big purple porites "lambata" I believe "whatever" you find that stuff up in the shallows and on the reef flat, with that being what I'm somewhat trying to mimic it ended up in this tank.

refugium015.jpg

This is a FTS I put the Fiji branch in and really liked the look so that is what stays. Those large rocks are all cut on the bottom so there is a flat part which makes it possible to stand them up.

refugium020.jpg

This is a piece of Sympodium I got today for a great price so I thought I would try it out. It was open at the LFS and is opening in this picture but since I took the picture it has almost fully opened.

refugium024.jpg

This is the left side notice the ceriths and there is also some blue legs in there.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Looks good Dave! When the Sympodium opens up get another picture of it. I've been tempted a few times to get some.

mikev15101

I love the look of the tank. Very clean, I can't wait to see the different plants that are going in there. It is hard to see with the pic but did you leave enough room on the sides to get in there with a mag float or razor. It will make a HUGE difference down the road.

mbdave

Thanks Terry and Mike, yeah plenty of cleaning room and I will get a pic of the coral Terry.