The miracle of life: Adam gives birth!

kare-bear

Wow! Great video. Congratulations. I wish the video could have been longer. I hope you share more so that I can follow your progress with your new babies.

vlangel

Wow! Great video. Congratulations. I wish the video could have been longer. I hope you share more so that I can follow your progress with your new babies.

I am sorry kare-bear but I won't be raising these babies. They had a prior brood Oct 29th and I am still caring for them. Seahorses, even H erectus require a huge commitment and I can't give them that right now with the juveniles that I still have. Only so much time, money and energy to go around. I should have taken a longer video but Adam had already birthed quite a few babies and there were long pauses between contractions.

kare-bear

Yes, of course. I have no plans to breed by pets due to the challenge and time commitment. Shows that you give excellent care to your pets to have them successfully breeding. My kids like your short video. Thanks

vlangel

Yes, of course. I have no plans to breed by pets due to the challenge and time commitment. Shows that you give excellent care to your pets to have them successfully breeding. My kids like your short video. Thanks

Thanks, it's very kind of you. I worked at a pet store for 12 years and I always tried to do my best to make sure every animal was going to a well informed home, so they would have the best chance of having a good home. I try to provide that for my pets too. I am glad your kids enjoyed it. My grandson did too! :)

StirCrayzy

Cool vid ! Kudos on your healthy mating pair !

Don't take this personally vlang, and please forgive the threadjack.

But I must ask... Since this male giving birth concept seems to be so widely adopted as truth. I wonder how many really understand what is really going on.
Would we consider that a male penguin gives birth just because a baby hatches while he is sitting on the egg.
Of course not, so I wonder why seahorses get such a scientific asterisk? The males do a phenomenal job of protecting the eggs until they hatch, so I guess that's pretty special, but to imply Adam is " giving birth" is just inaccurate. I would be happy to say " releasing newborns" , but I guess that just doesn't sound as fun and progressive.

sirrealism

Stircrazy I think your comparing apples to oranges. The penguin never has the egg inside of him. I do understand your thought but really what is the difference. If the female put eggs inside the male "unfertilized" and the male fertilizes the eggs then incubates them inside of him. If the eggs were fertilized already then I could see your point but they are not. So its just like a female of other animals. I hope you understand what I am saying.

StirCrayzy

No, simply put, the producer of the egg in any animal, is considered Female, and the Male produces sperm.
My point was that just because the male ( fertilized) incubates No, simply put, the producer of the egg in any animal, is considered Female, and the Male produces sperm.
My point was just that, because the male incubates fertilized eggs for the female doesn't not qualify "him" as "giving birth".
Maybe more accurately compared in clownfish terms, Female places eggs in a clay pot, male fertilized, and protects them, but when babies hatch out, we do not say the clay pot, nor the male, "gave birth". The eggs simply hatch from a geographical location.
Many analogies come to mind, the penguin thing was just first. ;)

vlangel

Wow, I had been tied up for the past week and had not checked in. I never meant to stir up controversy, I just wanted folks to watch what I considered a very cool event. We can probably all agree that new life is a miracle anyway :)

StirCrayzy

One of the greatest strengths of RS is our ability to have respectful debate. Of course I stated my comments in that context , but I can understand my points of view are not common, and how perception can skew intent.

I really just meant to inspire some thoughtful conversation...:)

sirrealism

As did I but I saw Travis was concerned it might not go that way so I felt better left alone. By no means was anything ment to start any kind of argument. Like you said thoughtful conversation. Best part is the vid was fantastic. Please post more of the juveniles that you are raising. I did this in the past and your so right it takes a lot of your time and energy, Plus costs. If you could find someone who is willing to try to raise them maybe you could give new born horses to someone else. Not sure where you are but if i was close I would give it a shot again. Shipping would be an issue unless they could be put on a plane and picked up at the airport. I have a friend who is wholesaler and instead of shipping over night she takes her boxes of livestock to the airport so they are at there destination in a matter of a few hours instead of overnight. But she has a license to do so. But maybe there is someone close to you that would want to try.