The Gumhead Tank

gumhead

It all started with a 30-gallon tank with an underground filter, crushed coral and a bunch dead bleached coral skeletons. That was around 20 years ago, I had fish only tanks on and off until 2002 when I started my first reef tank.

My current reef tank is a 120 gallon glass aquarium made by All Glass Aquariums (48" long X 24" wide X 24" tall)

Tank info
I had the tank drilled to except two internal drains and a closed loop system. There is approximately 150 lbs of Fiji and assorted Live Rock and a 2-3 inch sand base. The tank is lit by two 250 watt AB 10,000K DE HQI lamps with 2 Reef Optix III plus Pendants/Reflectors run by a Blue Wave VII dual 250w HQI ballast, all made by sunlight supply. I also have 2, 110 watt VHO URI Actinic 03's running on a IceCap 430 ballast.

There is no power heads in the main tank, all the water circulation is provided by a closed loop system with, C-AO NS-70 pump (1200 gph) & 1" seaswirl and the sump return via a ¾” seaswirl.

The stand and canopy were custom made. The tank is plumb threw the wall into the unfinished part of the basement. The sump in the basement is a 20 gallon DIY 1/8 inch thick acrylic sump. I made it about a year ago to fit under the stand of my 75 gallon set up. It is to small for my new tank and will have to be replaced with a larger one. There is a Kent float valve mounted inside that is attached to a 20 gallon fresh water reservoir for auto gravity fed top off.

I use an MR1 skimmer made by My Reef Creations running on a Mag 12 pump. I also have a WC-2 waste collector made by My Reef Creations. For calcium supplement I run a dual chamber CR-2 calcium reactor. The reactor has a Mag 2.5 pump for circulation and a maxi-jet 1200 for influent feed. CO2 is supplied from a 10 lb CO2 tank and dual gage solenoid regulator. The reactor is also made by My Reef Creations. Water from the sump is returned to the main tank by a Little Giant external pump (800 gph) and a 3/4" seaswirl in the main tank.

There is also a frag/grow out tank that is attached to the main system and stands right next to the sump. It is a 30-gallon breeder tank by all glass aquariums (36" long x 24" wide x 12" tall). It is drilled with two 3/4" drains. Water is fed from the sump threw the little giant pump and there is various power heads for more current in the tank. The tank is lit by a single 250 watt AB 10,000K DE HQI lamp with a Reef Optix III plus Pendant/Reflector run by a Blue Wave VII single 250w HQI ballast.

Livestock
My tank is a SPS dominated tank consisting of Acropora, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornus, Pocillopora and Anacropora to name just a few. I do have a few LPS such as Trumpet Coral, bubble coral and a few other ones. I am also building up a good little collection of Zoanthids. I have few clams, two Maxima, a Crocea and a 7-inch Derasa!

Mobile inverts consist of 3 serpent stars, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, snails and just a couple of hermits.

I have 10 fish in the main tank consisting of hippo tang, Royal Gramma, 4 Blue Chromis, Purple Pseudochromis, Six Line Wrasse and 2 Ocellaris Clownfishes.

I do not add any additives in my tank. The only thing I feed my tank is DT’s phytoplankton and homemade fish food (mush). The calcium reactor along with water changes replenishes all the trace elements and calcium in the tank. I do about a 5-gallon water change a week (if I remember) Tap water is filtered with a 4 stage 100 gpd RO/DI unit.

More pictures to come...

Last edited:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Wow!! Nice setup!

...and here I was feeling all "high tech" with my new MH lights! ;)

semigodd154

I think i have seen this tank posted somewhere else but im not sure i absolutley love the mad scientist fish room Karma to ya

BoomerD

SWEET!! A friend & I have kicked around the "thru the wall into the garage" idea a bit, but here in California's Central Valley, our garages will be 130 degrees during the summer months, and neither of us want to run chillers. Sure is a great look though. Clean & well though out.

Great job, funny thing is I enjoy the behind the scenes pictures as much as the display tanks. Always great to see how other people do it. Thanks for sharing !

Gina

RS STAFF
Love the set up! I also like looking at the behind the scenes so to say! Your entire set up is fantastic!

I always love to see this setup :)

Love your pictures too, was sad to flip the TRT calendar yesterday off the clown/brain photo. Even if it's now 64Ivy's reef, the clown/brain pic is the second best photo of the calendar.
[of course, the best pic is the derasa photo I contributed :lol:]

First class as always Gumhead!