The Bluespot Club

Pool Man

I'm a little concerned about PJ's set-up and what if anything should be changed to accomadate him better. This is his first full week.He has made burrows out from under the LR on 3 sides. LR is stable to the floor. 2 1/2 - 3" of sand. Plenty of rubble (hasn't used yet). Not an agressive eater at all, but does manage to snag a few mysis shimp daily as they swirl by. Alot of
peek-a-boo when I'm around. I don't think he's even explored his tank yet. I was thinking about taking out some LR and moving the rest to the outside edges for an open sandy bed in the center. To give him an opertunity to have more of a 360deg. view. Just not sure how they react to changes, less stress the better. He's the only fish in his home with a red knobby star and a few small bumble snails. Any thought or suggestions?

Attachments

• 104_1309.JPG
    104_1309.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 104_1312.JPG
    104_1312.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 104_1313.JPG
    104_1313.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 104_1314.JPG
    104_1314.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 104_1316.JPG
    104_1316.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 54

bluespotjawfish

What he/she is doing sounds typical of their behavior. I wouldn't mess with the environment. If they don't like a spot, they can move.

I think BJ is famous! I think Mike Savage has included BJ in his log of photos (#82), check it out! This is the best pic I have seen of these guys! Mike was at my place again yesterday when BJ was flashing, but didn't have his camera.

NikonCafe.com

This is a post about the picture, I think it captures it great!
This one is hilarious to me. It appears as though he's standing up in baggy pajamas looking up with a blue tear coming from his eyes...

jaredleejohnson

After added finer-grained sand pieces and positioning a one lb pile of live rock rubble nearby, my bsj built an elaborate hole in the sand with rock reinforcement. And the flame angel is not bothering him, just sporadically alerts him. To my delight, he is eating flake food, although he prefers mysis shrimp and meaty pellets. Strangely, when the aquarium lights turn off during evening, he tends to forget whatever he was doing and just swims off to where the most light shines into the aquarium. This potentially leaves him in "unfamiliar" spots in the aquarium, so we make sure we have a lamp positioned near his favorite burrow when the top light switches off.

RoboPhung

Hello everyone. I recently happened across a BSJF at my LFS by random luck and they were willing to sell it to me for 50, and I couldn't resist. From what I've read about this remarkable fish is that it is incredibly hardy. It's been 3 weeks and he eats like a pig, and made himself some nice burrows in my 12gallon nanocube. He is the only fish in this tank. Unfortunately I've noticed small whitish patches of his skin flaking off recently, which at first I mistakened for debris on his body from all the digging he does. I've tried to search extensively throughout the internet and they all reference mostly BSJF disease as well as brookynella. Reading through this thread though, many of you believe that BSJF disease doesn't exist, and the reason for the the BSJF to exhibit color change and eventually die lies in other problems with the fishtank.

My question is, I've read through the thread and found multiple references to "white patches" developing, but in particular, my BSJF's skin is actually peeling / flaking off these small patches of area. Has anyone noticed this kind of disease affecting their BSJF? I've noticed on rare occasions he rubs his side against the sand with one quick swimming motion. So far I do not notice any changes in behavior or breathing pattern, he is still very active and always is on the lookout for food, and still eats very voraciously. Can any one with a similar experience with the white patch please tell me if it flaked and peeled and resembled Brookynella, and if you were able to successfully treat it and have your BSJF make a full recovery?

Other than the two patches of skin flaking off, I've examined very closely whenever he pops out and there are no signs of ich or any other kind of disease. All water parameters checked out okay, except nitrates are at around 10ppm. I'm increasing frequency of my water changes, and I'm adding chemi-pure as well as already running purigen.

I had originally lost hope and thought it would just be a waiting game for my BSJF to die, but after reading this thread, I'm starting to have hope. Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

bluespotjawfish

I haven't experience the peeling that you are describing. White patches are ofen from stress, so you may be seeing white patches and they may or may not be related to the peeling.

Lower salinity
Lower temp
Fortify food
Keep the tank dark

These are all ways to reduce stress to help the BSJF fight off disease himself.

lcstorc

Welcome to RS!
I wouldn't do it. IME they love to build. I am constantly breaking rocks and putting them in the tank. They dissapear and I give them more. Once Sunshine ran out of buiilding material and stopped eating until I gave her more. In fact, I just broke a large rock yesterday and am boiling the pieces as we speak.

bluespotjawfish

IMO, there is no way to clean that out. Where do you think their poop is going to go. Over time, I don't think this would create a healthy environment.

The Bluespot is likely to pick a different location anyway. And, they move their holes from time to time as well.

Basser1

IMO, there is no way to clean that out. Where do you think their poop is going to go. Over time, I don't think this would create a healthy environment.

You know Lorraine, I don't think this would matter too much. I actually think bluespots are some of the tidiest fish around. Tonight I witnessed Digger, how can I say this? Pooping. Well after he finished, he promptly disposed of it by spitting it out on the opposite side of the tank. I've seen him do this many times.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
You know Lorraine, I don't think this would matter too much. I actually think bluespots are some of the tidiest fish around. Tonight I witnessed Digger, how can I say this? Pooping. Well after he finished, he promptly disposed of it by spitting it out on the opposite side of the tank. I've seen him do this many times.

I have witnessed this also on many occasions, they also leave their burrow to urinate, which I have also witnessed.

Lorraine, I love Nick's video. The two keep spitting sand into each others burrow. :laughroll:

karazy

i was just wondering,

what's the best way to acclimate/treat a jawfish when it first arrives at a shop?

the reason i ask is because the LFS that i work at has only open air tanks, and ofcourse i wouldn't want my blue spot to jump out.
i would build a lid, but the way our tanks are built is with a weird lip making it a little hard to make a cover.

so what i would do when i get mine (if i didnt make a cover) is go, help get all the fish unpacked at the store (leaving my jawfish in the bag) and then taking it home.
whats the best chemicals to treat it with, for how long, and if you have any tips please feel free to post them.

lcstorc

I wouldn't treat it with any chemicals just keep the bag in the dark and get the fish out of the bag as soon as you can.
There are lots of tips in the forum but they key is covered top, lots of rubble and be sure it is eating.

bluespotjawfish

Treat it to some nice clean water!

I'm a fan of the dark like Lynn, but was just reading the BlueZoo article that says a bit of light helps them find their way around the tank and to an appropriate den location. I would keep the light dim though.