The Bluespot Club

bluespotjawfish

Oh no Barb! I can't believe you did that!

The Misses is getting fatter every day. Based on the pic that sabeypets posted of his, she has a few days more to go.

Basser1

Barb...... Very sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you return soon!

Man, I just noticed the Honorary Members list! There's a ton of folks on there. With the prices of BSJF so reasonable now, hopefully some of those will come back?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Really sorry to hear that Barb! :cry1: Maybe when Lorraine raises a bunch of babies, we can be the first on the list for adoptions! ;)

jaredleejohnson

Neat club. My wife and I recently purchased a blue spotted jawfish for our 90 gallon reef aquarium, which is fully stocked with live rock and also has a 1.5" blue tang and a 3" flame angel. We both love the jawfish, but we are concerned for its well-being, as our flame angel seems to want to challenge and scare the jawfish every time he encounters it. The angel confronts it side-on, then the jawfish opens its mouth to return the threat. What happens next depends on how well fortified the jawfish's particular refuge is. If it is well fortified, the jawfish retreats inward and the angels loses interest. If it is not well-fortified, the jawfish goes berserk and zigzags vertically up and down, eventually ending up in a new location. These confrontations do not occur very often, as there are many places/crevices in the aquarium that the angel ignores, and it doesn't seem to be severely affecting the jawfish, as he appears healthy and eats brine/mysis shrimp like a pig, sometimes swimming out into the open to eat, despite the flame angel threat. But we hate to see him limited to certain spots in the tank. Has anyone ever dealt with this? We are aware that the flame angel should have been added last, we made the decision to purchase it after seeing it interact peacefully in a goby-filled reef set-up at our local fish store, and I suspect that the angel becomes perturbed when the jawfish stands up to it when challenged. Any information is appreciated.
Jared

bluespotjawfish

Welcome to the club!

I've had BSJF with flame angels before and haven't had an issue. How long have you had the jawfish? If it hasn't been too long, these types of disputes over territory are fairly common and they should work it out over the course of a few weeks. The end result may be that the jawfish finds a better den that is more secluded and secure from potential attacks. One or the other should eventually give in.

You might also need to modify the sand bed a bit if the dens collapse regularly. Is your sand the same sized grain or is a various sizes? Do you have rock rubble and/or shells as well?

jaredleejohnson

Thanks, Lorraine! I have had my jawfish for 3 days now, so I'm probably just being paranoid. That said, it's a relief to hear that these territoriality disputes are not permanent.
The dense DO collapse regularly. Our sand bed consists of same sized grains - aragonite pieces that are roughly 2mm in "radius." We have some shells on the surface, but not many. Should I add smaller sized grains? Are there any particular types of shells that jawfish prefer?
Our base rock makes direct contact with the aquarium surface and there a many passageways underneath that the jawfish could use. I was considering creating openings in the substrate that might guide him underneath the base rock. Does that ever work? Thanks again.

cstamper

Thanks, Lorraine! I have had my jawfish for 3 days now, so I'm probably just being paranoid. That said, it's a relief to hear that these territoriality disputes are not permanent.
The dense DO collapse regularly. Our sand bed consists of same sized grains - aragonite pieces that are roughly 2mm in "radius." We have some shells on the surface, but not many. Should I add smaller sized grains? Are there any particular types of shells that jawfish prefer?
Our base rock makes direct contact with the aquarium surface and there a many passageways underneath that the jawfish could use. I was considering creating openings in the substrate that might guide him underneath the base rock. Does that ever work? Thanks again.

welcome...
I would be sure to offer your BSJ alot of rubble.. I smash up a small pieces of live rock and place them near the burrow. You'll be amazed how much rubble they go through. The rubble size I like are from 1-2cm to 3-5cm.
They'll use it to fortify the burrow.
Take care-

jaredleejohnson

welcome...
I would be sure to offer your BSJ alot of rubble.. I smash up a small pieces of live rock and place them near the burrow. You'll be amazed how much rubble they go through. The rubble size I like are from 1-2cm to 3-5cm.
They'll use it to fortify the burrow.
Take care-

Thanks, Chris. I will make it my mission Saturday to prepare some rubble. My BSJ seems to do most of his work at night (when the other fish are "asleep"), so he will have more material to work with soon. Also, I may get some smaller grain sand to mix in with my larger grain substrate, so that he can build a collapse-free burrow.

bluespotjawfish

You can add in some different sized sands in a few areas with the rubble and see if it helps. I had the same sized aragonite in the 55 and they always collapsed. Oh, and there is a sand they say is made especially for jawfish (rounded edges), I would stay away from that. It also doesn't provide good support.

jaredleejohnson

You can add in some different sized sands in a few areas with the rubble and see if it helps. I had the same sized aragonite in the 55 and they always collapsed. Oh, and there is a sand they say is made especially for jawfish (rounded edges), I would stay away from that. It also doesn't provide good support.

Thanks, Lorraine. I will do just that.

lcstorc

You will be amazed at the size of rock they can and will use. Also, one of my Blues, builds and re-builds several burrows in the same area over and over. Sometimes she will have 3 open at a time and pops out of all of them and the next day there is only one.

Is there anybody in East/Central Florida looking for a blue? My LFS has one that is simply gorgeous, eats like a pig, and has a personality you can't believe.
If I was still working, I would have bought a bio-cube and set it up just for this fish it was that awesome.
Anyway, let me know and I will tell you the store and call to make sure they still have her. They had 3 blues yesterday. They were all 3 eating and fine, but this one just screamed personality.

Nick801

Well I've joined the Club =) Thanks to Lorraine for pointing me over here!
I now own 2 blue spots, hopefully they get along, they haven't met each other yet I don't think... I've only had them both for less than a week they are still figuring out there living situation I also need to go pick up a bunch of rubble/shells for them today =)

hopefully things work out for the best, and I hope I ended up with a male/female I picked a really bright yellow out and then a really dark one hoping there will be a difference in sex

lcstorc

Welcome to the club.
You are in almost the same position I am in. I have two in a 90g. One is quite bright and one is very dark. I am hoping it is a male/female pair, but at this point I am convinced it is not two males since they have been living in the same tank for probably 6 months. They spent a lot of the time on exactly opposite areas of the tank but recently the darker one (Moonshine) has moved to the front center while the brighter one (Sunshine) stays on the left front. Sunshine was well established before I added Moonshine so I don't know if that played a part or not.
Another difference I have noticed is that Sunshine uses a lot of rocks and shells etc to build burrows in the sand which she frequently builds and re-builds in extensive networks. Moonshine prefers to choose a cozy place in the rocks and digs out the sand underneath using very little rubble.
I have no idea if the color or the behaviour has anything to do with sex. They are just things I noticed.

bluespotjawfish

Welcome Nick! Hope they settle in good for you.

BJ has been going crazy all morning and the Misses has been going over to his hole several times. Mr. Palani gave them a house warming gift - a nice colony of pink milli!

Pool Man

Did you guys realize there's almost 4,500 post in this club, going on 300 pages? I've actually read the first 300 post or so looking for some info. Does anyone here keep Pearly Jawfish? I know there're some differences but the general husbandry should be close... correct?

Last edited:

bluespotjawfish

I had Pearly's a long time ago. I'd say yes to similar, but since they are a bit smaller, some of the info needs to be applied on a scaled down basis (e.g., they may not use the larger rubble as much as the Bluespots). Anything in particular you are needing answers about?

What a great club! Bluespot Power!

:bluenod: :bluenod: :bluenod: :hug1: :bluenod: :bluenod: :bluenod: