The best skimmer for my 125 gallon FOWLR, about 3 options

Talon33

My 125 gallon FOWLR has been running for about a year now and I have kept in skimmer less and just trying to grow some macro. I have been doing 25 gallon water changes a week mostly every week and for the past two month since I have had 3 juvenile tangs in it. Anyways bioload is pretty high and before I was able to keep my nitrates around 20 but now the stay between 30 and 40 ppm and I would like to reduce water change schedule to either about 15% tank volume a week or 25% every two weeks. So I think its finally time to get a skimmer, I have 3 different options right now and they are all Reef Octopus models so I was just hoping you all can give me some advice.
Option 1: Reef Octopus 6inch in sump pinwheel model. I think its rated for 150 gallons and it runs about $225
Option 2: Reef Octopus 4 inch recirculating skimmer. Its rated for 125 gallons I believe and it runs at like $250...Not sure why the recirculating models are special if anyone could clarify that for me.
Option 3: Reef Octopus 8 inch pinwheel in sump model. I think the manufacturer rates it like 250 gallons (probably more realistically 160 gallons or something) and it cost I think like $290.

So what do you all think is the best deal for the money or what will suit me better, keep in mind my tank is a FOWLR not a reef so my nitrates do not necessarily have to be at 5 or lower even though that would be nice! I just have no experience with any skimmers and am not familiar with their performance I have just heard reef octopus to be best so I wanted to go with one of them. Thanks!

reefle

Hello!!

I personally have the 150 reef octopus space saver on my 100 gallon+30 gallon sump reef setup and I'm loving it.

I always prepare for the future so I would personally get the 6-8 inch pinwheel skimmer in case you either move up in tank size, add more fish, or decide to put some corals. Definitely not the 4 inch one though. It also depends on how much space is in your sump.

You can't go wrong with Reef Octopus and it never hurts to go bigger.

Talon33

Thanks for the reply! I was pretty set on a pinwheel just wasn't sure what the recirculating was or what it may do better. How is the performance on yours, does it keep the nitrates way down? also how much noise does yours make?

reefle

recirculating units basically take more gunk out. I don't have one, but I'm sure they work well. Mine is doing really well!! It's a new product so there weren't any reviews on it which was kinda sketchy for me but I trusted the company.

It's super quiet for me and started taking stuff out within a day. I'm sure it hasn't been broken in yet to its full potential plus there's only a chromis, feather duster, and some CUC in a 130 gallon setup.

It does keep my nitrates down, but they were already pretty low in the first place so I can't speak too much on that.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

BRS is having a 10% off reef octopus products so if you get one get one soon!