The Advantages of Keeping a Natural Tank

Paul B

The advantages of keeping a natural Reef

We all know that there are many ways to run a tank but I would like to start a thread about keeping a natural reef. The ocean is natural and the fish there are all very healthy and never have to worry about getting sick, getting enough food, getting enough sunlight, exercise etc. They do however have to worry about getting eaten by something larger or getting caught in a net, suffocating on the deck of a ship then being stuffed into a small can labeled "Dolphin Safe".

None of the tanks we keep are natural by any stretch of the imagination but I feel we should strive to get as close to naturel as we can.

There is a reason for this thinking. Fish in a natural, unstressed state are just healthier. They are healthier because they eat better and by that I don't mean the foods they eat have more nutrition, although they could have. I mean they eat healthier because the foods they eat have the living bacteria in them that help keep fish immune from disease.

Fish are different from most of us and some of us smell better than fish. Fish in the sea eat mostly fish and crustaceans and many of us also feed that type of food, but fish in the sea eat whole fish and crustaceans, bones, guts, eyes and all. It is difficult for us to get very tiny whole fish for food and I discussed this point with fish food manufacturers a few times. I can buy very tiny whole maceral babies in an Asian market but they are always freeze dried with the consistency of wood. Fish won't eat wood and neither would I.

My last few weeks in Viet Nam we were issued what they call LURPS. It's basically freeze dried stew but if you tried to eat it without adding boiling water, it would be like eating Styrofoam with powdered Styrofoam on top of it. Our problem was that we hardly had water, much less boiling water. If you just added water the same temperature as our tanks, it would just float, and you still couldn't eat it. That’s the same problem with trying to feed our fish freeze dried food.

The ingredient in foods that will keep the fish immune is the bacteria and parasites in its gut and a wild fish eats that at every meal. A fishes gut, or intestine and stomach is filled with bacteria just as ours is. We and the fish need that bacteria because it is that bacteria that keep us healthy. That is the reason that when we take antibiotics we get the "runs" and feel lousy. The antibiotics kill our stomach bacteria and we can’t live without it. I don't really know how fish feel but I do know they are supposed to have a gut filled with live bacteria and parasites as all the fish in the sea do.

That is the reason fish in many tanks are so delicate and the reason for all the disease threads. Fish are actually very robust and rarely, if ever get sick on the proper diet. A healthy fish in a natural tank will eat right away and not hide for days at a time, unless it is a type of fish that is supposed to do that. All healthy fish will also try to spawn. Of course if you have an algae blenny it won’t try to mate with a whale shark.

So many people have trouble with feeding fish such as mandarins, copperbands, moorish Idols etc. That is because IMO, it is not a natural tank.

When we get the fish from a store, that fish may have been collected a month ago. In that time it was not eating the food it is supposed to eat along with the bacteria and parasites it is used to eating. It’s like us on antibiotics and its stomach and intestines are not working properly because a fish gets its immunity from its kidney and the kidney knows what types of immunity it should churn out by the types of bacteria and parasites in its stomach.

If we get a new fish and put it in a tank with copper or antibiotics, that fish is off to a bad start. I myself used to do that. Treat new fish just to make sure they were “healthy”. I learned the hard way that that is not the way to go. Naturally if we get a fish in the process of having last rites, or if an angelfish is giving it mouth to mouth resuscitation, we have to treat it, but we should rarely get a fish like that.

Healthy fish in natural tanks spawn continuously because that’s what fish do.

The Mother fish imparts her immunity to her fry so it can survive its first few days outside the egg because a fish fry has a thin coat of slime which is the fishes only defense against pathogens. If that slime doesn’t have any immunity in it from its Mother, it cannot survive because it will be attached by every pathogen in the sea, or a tank. If it’s Mother doesn’t have immunity, neither will its babies because where would it come from? The baby fish hasn’t yet been exposed to anything so it could not get any immunity and it would not survive. As that baby fish starts eating, it consumes bacteria and parasite laden foods which it should be immune to, but only if it got that immunity from an immune Mother.

If you keep a sterile tank with no input of natural bacteria or parasites, that fish will always be at risk of infection from bacteria, viruses and parasites so everything in contact with it needs to be quarantined. But even if you quarantine everything that is in contact with that fish, you can’t keep all disease bacteria away from it, especially if you buy coral or rock because those things, even if quarantined for years can harbor disease pathogens in the form of viruses and bacteria that quarantining will have no effect on. Quarantining can remove parasites, but nothing else.

You can’t turn a sterile, quarantined tank into a natural tank very easily because those fish have no natural immunity to anything because they are not exposed to anything so it would be a slow and possibly scary process. The fish would need to become infected, and then cured by un natural means until the fish builds up immunity or unfortunately, dies.

It is much easier to set up a natural tank in the beginning but of course that can also be scary, especially if you are new at this. If I were to set up another tank tomorrow I would do it almost exactly like I set up my present tank. Reverse Undergravel filter and all, but I doubt the UG filter has much bearing on the health of the fish.

I am lucky that I can get some natural water and mud from the sea, but I also add regular dirt from outside my house. Dirt that doesn’t have pesticides, fertilizer, weed killers or battery acid from a 1957 Oldsmobile Cutlass. I add a little soil, not for the soil, but for the bacteria. If I collect earthworms for food, I leave the dirt on. It’s the same dirt that is inside the earthworms. Eating a little dirt won’t hurt us and it won’t hurt your fish.

I would also feed something with live bacteria in it at every meal. I use white worms, blackworms, earthworms, or clams that I buy live and freeze myself. Clams that you freeze yourself would still have the same bacteria in it as when the clam was alive because our home freezer is not that cold. Processed fish food you buy is questionable as to the presence of bacteria because it needs to be somewhat free of bacteria so it can last and be sold. It may also be irradiated.

(If I could only use one food, it would be clams)

Our fish should only die of old age and fish on the proper diet in a natural tank do.

This is all just my opinion of course and I would like to hear your ideas on keeping fish healthy

Last edited:

cracker

Ok Paul I got a question for Ya. 1st let me say natural as possible sounds right to me ! So recently I bought a real nice Puntata Butterfly. I had watched this fish at the LFS for a good two weeks. it looked thick was eating always out front saying Hey You got some thin to eat? I put the fish in the display. About 5 days later, it broke out with what I think was ich. It still ate like a pig & out for weeks. I did my research ,decided on the TTM to treat all 3 fish. The butterfly 1st. I put the trap in the tank& the fish hid out the 1st day. On the 2nd I found the butterfly and the snails were having their way with it. So I don't know if the clowns gave the ich to this fish or viscera . what do You do with a new fish? I know I'll never put a new fish in this 180 display full of rock again. I'm too old & fat for chasing fish !

Paul B

I'm to old too, not to fat but getting there. I would just put the fish in and go out to dinner. I don't ever remember losing a fish to ich unless the thing was practically dead when I got him. I got one like that last week and he didn't live the night.
When you say your tank is natural, what do you mean? Did you quarantine everything? Do you feed almost every meal with food that has live bacteria in it? Do you have any bacteria in there from NSW or your yard?
For this system to work, you can't take some parts of it and not others.
If the rest of your fish were quarantined, and you introduced ich, the ich paracites will have a party in there while dancing the macarana and it will multiply and kill any new fish.
If that happens to me I doubt I could catch it and it would die there or get better.

When I tell this to people they look at me like I have two heads. I do have two heads but I digress. This method, just like the quarantine method has to be followed exactly. If you quarantine everything, then let a parasite slip in on a coral or rock, you will lose everything. My method is the same, you need to do all parts of it and the two methods can't be mixed.
But good luck Cracker.

cracker

That's what I have been doing for years , adding the fish & crossing my fingers. Worked out very well for me in the past. I don't keep my tanks natural like You do. I have improved my fish food which I see the difference, especially the Copper Band. I credit You for bringing up fresh whole foods from the sea. Lee Birch advocated the same. Now I will add some sand from the keys but no
mud ! LOL.
I also understand it's all out for each choice. If Ya treat one fish You will always have to treat any future fish. I will at least put every new fish in a Qt to check it out before introducing the fish & going to dinner ! As for now I'm not sure what I'm going to do concerning the pair of clowns. Do I go thru the hassle of sectioning off the 180 ,removing the rock & netting them. Then they go thru a tank transfer then into the QT (20 long I have cycling ). They languish for 72 days while the tank goes fallow ? YIKES!
The clowns are completely unfazed and very happy where they are. I may just remove the clowns & qt them while the tank sits fallow. Then see what happens. I just wondered what You do. Thanks !

Paul B

I don't do to much with the tank. The fish take care of themselves. That quarantining and fallow stuff scares me and my fish. :eek: Today I am taking a bunch of cousins on my boat to the Statue of Liberty. I may bring my copperband along and let him swim around Lady Liberty to get some Patriotism . I think she came from South Africa but got her citizenship when she was a teenager.
You can't get to close to the statue because they have machine guns there and I got a can of bug spray and Coppertone SPF 50.
Good luck. :D

Pat24601

As I am setting up a new tank, I'm seriously consider following the PaulB method, but what I keep tripping up on is where to get fresh food for the fish. I wouldn't have any idea where to get worms. I'm in an Atlanta suburb. We can get bad cheese pizza, processed chicken nuggets, and macaroni with fake cheese for the kids just about anywhere. Live food for fish is an entirely different matter.

Pat24601

I don't do to much with the tank. The fish take care of themselves. That quarantining and fallow stuff scares me and my fish. :eek: Today I am taking a bunch of cousins on my boat to the Statue of Liberty. I may bring my copperband along and let him swim around Lady Liberty to get some Patriotism . I think she came from South Africa but got her citizenship when she was a teenager.
You can't get to close to the statue because they have machine guns there and I got a can of bug spray and Coppertone SPF 50.
Good luck. :D

You could totally take down a machine gun nest with a can of bug spray if you wanted to. Who would want the do that to the Statue of Liberty protectors, though?

Paul B

The Coast Guard asked if they could board me a few years ago. I told them: You have a fifty caliper machine gun and I have a can of bug spray. I think you can board me:

I love the Coast Guard as I do all the services that protect us. But I have been on both ends of a fifty caliper machine gun and trust me, you want to be in back of it.:cool:

Can you get live, or frozen clams where you are? If not, you really need to move. :confused:
They are my favorite foods and I couldn't live on pizza with fake cheese or processed chicken nuggets.:eek:

I also raise white worms in dirt, you buy a culture online. The blackworms I get at an LFS and earthworms I can get outside after it rains. But clams are IMO the best food there is.