The 10 Gallon Nano 4-23-04

TomV

Well, this tank was started on 3/30/04 and I am please to only report 1 casualty! It was a 4 Stripe Damsel that I put in way too early. Other than that, everyone is fine!

The tank Specs:

Hagen 301 Powerhead
Visi-therm 100w Heater
Seaclone 100 Modified with Maxi-Jet 1200

Lights: 96w Coralife PC Quad :D :D :D

Currently 12 lbs of live rock
1.5 inch sand bed of Aragonite Sand and CC mixed

Inhabitants:

2 Astrea Snails
Yellow Tail Damsel
Scooter Blenny w/pods in tank for him to eat
Bicolor Blenny (King of the Tank)

Corals:
Presently only 1 Anthelia... but that's about to change!

Last edited:

dickie52

TomV,
Good to see intrest in the nano! Going to be a great looking tank! I would say slow down for now and learn to be a bit more paient. You posted on April 23rd and you started the tank March 30th. That is way too much bio load for a 10 gallon nano, that hasn't even finished it's cycle yet.
I am not knocking you, I am just trying to give you some sound advice. I want you to have the best tank you can.
Keep us updated. This is just my opinion, you may be on your way just they way you are going......

TomV

Hi Dickie! Thanks for posting!

I started this tank with 1/3 substrate from an established system along with cured live rock. It went through a quick ammonia and nitrite spike and then those settled down to 0 for a week while the nitrites rose. So, in effect, the tank is cycled. It is coming along nicely. Some more corals are due this week and this tank will house them until my 29 (my other tank) is ready.
The 29 will have 25 lbs of live rock the first week of May and I am sure it will cycle slower than this one did.

Here is an up to date picture with the addition of a very nice piece of live rock added toay!

EDIT: I had to laugh when I looked at this picture! If you look between the lights and the tank, you can see my Neon Blue Gourami peeking out of his Nano FW which is on a riser behind this tank!! :D :D :D

kennerd

I don't have a problem with working up to bioload of that extent or even higher, but more gradually.

The concern I have is feeding the scooter. Not nearly enough live rock in there (or in many 10's) to sustain pods for that little guy, particularly since you just added one of the rocks.. They are absolute vacuums.

I sure would feel better if that little guy was already weaned onto brine/frozen food. Do a search on "pod piles" to help better your chances of maintaining the pod population.

TomV

He was a Petco fish. So, yeah, he was taught the ways of Brine Dining! :)

I got a scooter from the same place last year. They taught them to eat brine since they NEVER have pods in their tanks. I've seen him gobble them up as well. So, not to worry, Kennerd. He's well looked after and quite spoiled. :)

birdman204

Sorry you had something die. Even with established sand and rock, I would slow down on the animal additions. You may run into a bout of hair algae soon.

rurocking

Originally posted by kennerd
So, what happened to the first scooter?

After 19 months in the tank he is still doing very well. I currently have 6 scooters in different tanks and they all eat mostly MYSIS. I also have a Mandarin Goby and she also feeds on the MYSIS.

TomV

Well, when I got laid off, lost the house and everything else, he was sold to the LFS along with nearly everything I owned fish-related. He was healthy when I sold him and had actually grown a little in my care. I guess my little "pod houses" (6 inch sections of PVC tubing 1/2" wide) worked giving the pods a safe place to reproduce.