That Fish Place/That Pet place

Squatch XXL

I am not aware of them being a sponsor, but Id like to make a few comments about their livestock.

I am VERY happy with the quality and condition of my mantis shrimp which was ordered through them.

HOWEVER, I am not thrilled with their corals or frag tank. I have managed to pick up 2 undesirable hitchhikers in the 4 months I have been stocking corals.

The first is Botrylloides schlosseri which is more of a nuisance than anything. It just seems to want to grow all over my palys. I have used Reef RX as well as Seachem reef dip...with the only effect seeming to be that they get knocked down a bit, and only come back.

The second is Zoa Eating Nudibranch. Aside from one colony of palys, my tank is all zoas. This has got me setting up an extra 38 gallon tank to use a q-tank while I use a bug killer to dip every 5 days for the next 3-4 weeks.

I spoke with the manager of the "Fish Room" today, and was not impressed that he is aware of both of these hitchhikers. He placed blame on the fact that corals are grown in fish tanks these days, and since they are not "wild caught" they do not have the defense against these types of predators. He specifically stated that he is "aware of the zoa eaters" from time to time....but from my research in eradicating them leads me to believe that they simply have a perpetual supply of eggs and adults irrelevant of what is visible at glance.

I won't be getting any more corals from them. They certainly had better conditions years ago, and I doubt that this would have happened 15 years back.

If you insist on getting corals from this vendor, I would highly advise a q-tank and a long time to view and treat any issues before placing in the display tank.