Terry's RSM250

RSM250

Hi to everyone I've never been into this before but its something I've always wanted to do, so lots of learning to do & hopefully not to many mistakes, seems difficult to get anything here as the LPS doesn't know about saltwater only fresh & only stocks for that, couldn't get any live rock so had to just buy a sack of coral rock which I've started on the cycle last week but as its now summer in New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand the temp inside where the RSM is stays about 25c so the water is getting up to 30c so I started on a mission to find a chiller, I needed one that would fit inside the RSM cabinet as there's no room beside it or anywhere else to put it, the cabinet is designed for a chiller also but the only chiller I could get was a Hailea 300A 1/4 HP or a 150A 1/10 HP, I went for the 1/4 HP as it was recommended but there was no air space for circulation around it, the cabinet was getting extremely hot & so was the RSM cord behind it, instructions said needed 20-40cm space all around it which it didn't have so managed to get the LPS to take it back after a bit of a battle, I have looked & looked for something here in New Zealand even contacted RSM which were amazed that the only brand is the Hailea, they thought the 1/10 HP would struggle to do the cooling needed, its bit smaller than the 1/4 HP in width so would vent bit better, its been mentioned that there's a cabinet fan that can be inserted but you can't get them here & how they're fitted I don't know, anyone with any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Regards Terry

View attachment 19018

View attachment 19019

View attachment 19017

tnwillia

Welcome to RS and great start. Go slow and you have lots of help on here from your part of the world. Have fun!

imaccat

Hi and welcome again Terry,

As I mentioned in Leigh's (Lethal) thread I use an old set of surface cooling fans from an old tank in the cabinet with the chiller controlled by a thermostatic power socket which turns the fans on/off based on the temp in the cabinet. I will post a photo when I get a chance.

Cheers

Redseamax401

Welcome...

Beautiful Tank and rock setup...! I always wanted a RSM 250 but settled for a 130D, Congrats ! Keep us posted with more pictures..

GregT

Hey Terry,

Welcome to another Kiwi.
Glad you found the site. Good aato see a lot of coral rock for lots of bacteria to colonise.
I'm going to be staying in New Plymouth early next month on the 3rd Feb. I'm up there for two days with work.
cheers
GT

steved13

PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!!

Almost any fan pointed inside the cabinet should give enough circulation for your chiller, you just need to swap out the warm air for fresh.

RSM250

Hi & thanks for the replies everyone.
Well I've brought a cabinet fan from Australia cost both my arm & leg, Paul Talbot's company I believe, I sent him some picture's same as what I have on here but he didn't like my rock scape & says I should chisel the coral rock into halves & try to build more tunnels & ledges more elevation, I have about 21kg coral rock & i thought I'd done a good job of making a reef with tunnels, elevation, ledges & don't know if I want to start breaking it into bits as it also cost a arm & leg, as in regards to chillers I think I'm going to have to go for the Hailea 150A 1/10HP as its the only one that can get that will fit in the cabinet & have seen that there's one in use with a RSM250 in a set-up on here that he says is fine.
Regards Terry.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Rock scapes are a personal taste thing. If you like it then leave it alone. You can drive yourself crazy redoing it, and might end up with something you don't like as well as what you had. It looks fine to me. :)

GregT

Rock scapes are a personal taste thing. If you like it then leave it alone. You can drive yourself crazy redoing it, and might end up with something you don't like as well as what you had. It looks fine to me. :)

+1 landscaping is really personal taste Terry and something you develop yourself. Trust me you'll change it a few times. It looks great to me too.
You can use cable ties or plastic rod to join pieces together. I used foam and epoxy with cable ties to join together sections - makes it easy to lift whole sections if you need to. But to each their own!
Look forward to meeting you and seeing your tank
cheers
Greg

Dweezil

+1 I agree 100% Eventually it will all be covered with corals anyway and you won't even see the rock! ;)

tnwillia

+2^, 2 years and I still change mine a little now and then but it's much much harder to do once things start to grow and attack. Have fun with it, great start!