technical question about Tunze 9004 and 9001 protein skimmers.

NYCfishguy

Hi, i would love some insight. If anyones owns one of these two skimmers only!!...im curious if they use a needle wheel impeller or tunze hydrofoamer? My 9002 does not have a needle wheel impeller. And thats what i would like more info on. Of course Tunze site does not get specific. Thanks .

rossisdad

It does indeed use a needle wheel impeller, the air is drawn down onto it, Now the 9004 skims well, but mine gave a lot of micro bubbles through the side of the casing which I cured with some plumbers tape in the joint something that you shouldn't expect to have to do.

NYCfishguy

Rossidad, thanks for the quick response. Yeah i have a 9002 , its really quiet and all. And the design is simple , which i like. But i recently compared it to a stock skimmer that came with my Red Sea Max system. it uses a needle impeller and makes really dark , smelly, foam. As compared to the 9002 which only produced a light iced tea color skimate. Which model do you have 9001 or 9004. And if you have the 9004 i understand there is a place on the back for the ATO from tunze to mount to . Is that correct ?

NYCfishguy

rossidad, i miss read that last post. ok you have the 9004, do you use an Auto Top Off , and if so , is it a Tunze. ?

rossisdad

I do indeed have a atu not a Tunze, I had a look around on ebay and found a triple sensor version at £57. It needed a mod to the sensor bracket to fit my tank but it does the job very well, I even left in running over night and it behaved itself, of course it could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.