Tarasco's 150

Tarasco

Well, I've been planning this for a while, and it's starting to finally get off the ground. This 150 was originally going to be the home of a hippo tang that was outgrowing my 90, but unfortunately I lost the fish during a move. However, the wheels were set in motion and I determined that this was going to be the tank that I do right.

First, a look at the tank. It is 5 x 2 x 2, eurobraced, with holes in the bracing in each corner for returns. Black backed, and glass. Internal overflow has two 1.5 inch bulkheads. Here it is on the floor of my garage:

Don't worry, there's nothing heavy in those boxes. Got the tank through mparkis.com, he does a good job getting custom stuff for great prices.

Anyways, I'm using one of the bulkheads to flow into the sump, and another for the closed loop. I figure that I'm going to split the sump return to the two rear corner holes. The closed loop is going to house an Ocean's Motion 4 way, with two of the holes plugged, and the other two leading to returns on the front corner of the tank. That way I get some good flow going across the front.

Tarasco

Anyways, here's the stand and canopy

Stand is 36 inches tall, canopy is 10 inches tall. Canopy will have fans on each side (still looking for good, quiet fans, any suggestions would be helpful) to cool the 2 x 250 watt 14 K halides. Icecap electronic ballasts, XM bulbs, single ended. Also going to have some VHO's in there with actinics, I think.

That's where I'm at right now. I've picked up some other equipment, and I'll update more as I go along. This has been a slow project, though, as I'm still unpacking, and work is going into overdrive.

Tarasco

Thanks for the link Robert. The tank is glass, I didn't want to have to worry about scratches. I'm not nearly proficient enough in wood work to have built the stand and canopy, I went through the same guy who got me the tank. I'll definitely keep everyone updated.

Maxx

Mike, That looks sharp!! Any thoughts about what you're going to keep in it?
Nick

Tarasco

I was thinking mostly SPS. Fish would be a harem of swallowtail angels, and some leopard wrasses. I've been kinda stuck in my progress here for a little while though, as I've also been trying to get the 90 back on line. Hopefully soon.

Tarasco

Probablly Genicanthus melanospilus. The wife likes them, they're cheap and fairly easy to get, and I like when the males get those really long streamers.