Tank Upgrade Thoughts?

Pat24601

So, I kind of want to upgrade my tank. As discussed on other threads, my wife is likely to make me move it and if I'm moving it, might as well upgrade. Plus, after 3 years my kids scratched the glass pretty bad. Of course, that could also be a reason not to upgrade until they are older. They know better, but sometimes they get excited and forget.

Anyway, I LOVE my C-250. I love the look, love the size. The only thing I don't love is I'm out of room and would like some fish that really you shouldn't have in the C-250.

I was trying to think of what I would upgrade to. My first natural thought was the S-500 or 650, but I HATE the new lighting. I hate the open look, which will end up with hot wheels cars, tang (not the fish..the drink!) and who knows what else in it. Not to mention stuff coming out. My son tells me all the time he'd like to take Dori out and play with her. He won't catch Dori, but my corals aren't as fast.

I also just aesthetically don't like the look of the LEDs hanging off the top like that. It just looks bad to me (but I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I may be a minority).

Anyway, after looking around, I'm not seeing anything in the industry that looks anything like the old Red Sea tanks. I'm trying to talk myself into liking the new S-500, but really I'm just not into it at all. I'm having trouble finding any better options, though.

Right now, my best thought is maybe a standard cabinet and a custom set up (like the picture from dr foster below), but I'm kind of meh about it.

Anyone with any thoughts I'm missing?

image.jpeg

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

If you like closed tops, it's hard to beat a standard tank and cabinet setup. That's where I'm at visually. Lots of kids, toys, and I hate light spill that comes with dangling lights. Lots more size options too with standard tanks, and equipment flexibility. Oh and my guess is its probably done at half the cost an RSM with upgrades.

Pat24601

If you like closed tops, it's hard to beat a standard tank and cabinet setup. That's where I'm at visually. Lots of kids, toys, and I hate light spill that comes with dangling lights. Lots more size options too with standard tanks, and equipment flexibility. Oh and my guess is its probably done at half the cost an RSM with upgrades.

Light spill. Yes, I hate that. I was trying to think of a way to phrase it. That's exactly one thing I really hate.

Yes, I think you are right. This is probably the way to go. I'm a long way from where I was 3 years ago where I literally didn't know what magic made a saltwater tank go. A standard cabinet set up may be something I can design well and my LFS does custom cabinets, so lots of flexibility.

StirCrayzy

Your wife will be happy if you make the effort to present her with a quality piece of furniture. Mine demanded a nice looking wood stand (which is very hard to deliver on an undisclosed budget ) and now gets to decorate the top of the lid with seasonal trinkets. Fair trade if you ask me.

That's something I never understood about the RedSea cabinets. They are beautifully modern Fish tank stands and definitely look great at what they do, but RedSea is totally missing the fine furniture option that so many of us wood lovers want.

DaveK

I can see wanting a stand like you show in the picture. As for the canopy, I not a fan of them, mostly because they offer so many disadvantages. They really restrict access to the tank. In addition to that they tend to trap heat and moisture. If your using lighting that you want to suspend above the tank, it's almost impossible.

I also don't care for how they look, but this is an individual choice.

In your case I think what I'd do is use a standard glass cover on the tank, mounting the lighting any way that works for you. If I had to have the canopy look, I'd trim up some molding to fit around the top of the tank, only making it 2 to 3 inches high, just enough to hide the lighting. Then I could reach over it, and/or easily remove it.

What ever methods you use, if you want the stand to retain it's good looks through the years, be sure that you finish it with several coats of polyurethane or spar varnish on all sides, inside and out, top and bottom. Many manufactured stands and canopy sets only finish the outside areas you see.